How does 93 compare to other Epsilon 2 vehicles - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th May 2007

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: '07 93 Aero Convertible
Default How does 93 compare to other Epsilon 2 vehicles

How do you think the 93 compares to the BLS or G6? I think there are more vehicles on this platform but they do not come immediately to mind.

'07 Laser Red 93 Aero Convertible
'96 & '98 SHOs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th May 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Epsilon_platform

I have not driven any Epsilon 2 cars.

I had a 2005 Chevy Malibu as a rental in 2005. Build quality and interior noise were very close to Saab. Stock stereo was hands-down superior. Power was respectable. I was both impressed and disgusted realizing this was easily 80% of a Saab 93 for 60% of the money.
Old 16th May 2007
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4X 3.0i

My experience is limited to Malibu rentals as well. Interior quality is cheaper looking compared to the 9-3 but there were much less rattles and squeeks. Base engine is pretty underwhelming and trashy and driving characteristics are sloppy.

My last one was a Malibu Maxx and I liked the design of a sedan/wagon mix. So it's basically a 4-door with a hatch (shouldn't that be in Saab's line-up...?). I liked the convenience of a hatch so much that I traded in my SS for a SC the following week.

All in all not a bad car but also not something to get excited over. After driving one of these for a week, I really appreciate coming back home and drive the Saab again.

Old 16th May 2007

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Polar White 9≥ SS 2.0T

I was given a Malibu as a rental when I took my 93 in for service and I don't think it even came close to the 93. The front end was bouncy and drove like a truck. The interior was not much better... cloth with less appealing features. The car we should be looking at is the new Cadilac. I can't remember the model but is on the same platform and looks extremly like the 93 on the inside. It's not the CTS... CT.. something.
Old 16th May 2007

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 2.0t Nocturne Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvncubn
I was given a Malibu as a rental when I took my 93 in for service and I don't think it even came close to the 93. The front end was bouncy and drove like a truck. The interior was not much better... cloth with less appealing features. The car we should be looking at is the new Cadilac. I can't remember the model but is on the same platform and looks extremly like the 93 on the inside. It's not the CTS... CT.. something.
Its the BLS I believe and that is only available in Europe not in the US as of now. I believe that there is rumor that this vehicle will be over here in 2009. I will stick with the 9-3 though. I like the looks more.
Old 16th May 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: 206 93 Combi
Default at the top

The Saab is by far at the top. They really don't share that much other then the basic tooling and dies at the factorys. From the ground up everything else changes from car to car. The only thing with the G6 and the SAAB = GM and the 07 has that stuip GM radio in it,
Old 16th May 2007
Banned

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4X 3.0i

The BLS (made in Trollhattan) is basically a rebadged 9-3 while all the others are pretty much completely different cars.

The Opel Vectra and 9-3 are available with the 2.8T while the american counterparts have complete different V-6s.

Last edited by Wulf; 16th May 2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 16th May 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2010 9≥SS

I don't understand where everyone is coming from when they say the build quality of the 9-3 interior is so bad. I think the materials are quite good, everything fits tightly, and there are no rattles for me.

Maybe it's just because I came from a 99 Olds.
Old 16th May 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 93 ARC

just compairing it to other high sticker cars and past saab interiors.
Miles to Date: 178,000 ish No major problems, Replaced My 1st set of breaks @ 130,000, they lasted for ever. Door handels are now grey, badges are chipped, rubber inside is pealing bad and im on my 4th windshield. Only real problem was a new gas cap and wheel bearing and ac blower. Also dealer replaced broken front springs. SWEET!!!
Old 16th May 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2010 9≥SS

Past Saab interiors have been crappy with flimsy buttons & switches and hard shiny plastic that looks like it should be in a 90's Hyundai.
Old 16th May 2007

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero 6A, BSR Stage 1

EP II isn't out yet. BLS is essentially a 9-3 and is selling horribly in Europe. Basically all it is doing is helping fill factory's capacity.

First EPII car should be 09(?) Vectra. Last all-new EP1 car is slated to be 08 Malibu.
Old 16th May 2007
SaabNut!

Default rattles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Demontague
I don't understand where everyone is coming from when they say the build quality of the 9-3 interior is so bad. I think the materials are quite good, everything fits tightly, and there are no rattles for me.

I had had my Saab's to the auto body shops. This guy works on alot of very exspensive cars and told me that the Saab is hard to work with. Everything is so close of a tollerance. I work in manufaturing so I understand. When its that close it will make noise, swrinkage and exspanion. If it was a lose fit you would not have parts rubbing. I have never heard metel rubbing in any Saab I owned. I hear plastic in the winter time on my 06 Right above the sun roof. This is only when Im on one of the good USA roads. I have a rattel in my BMW that the dealer can get ride off. I have yet to try myself.
Old 16th May 2007
SaabNut!

Default not true

Quote:
Past Saab interiors have been crappy with flimsy buttons & switches and hard shiny plastic that looks like it should be in a 90's Hyundai.
My an american car or some of the Japenesse cars.
The only car that I have ever own that had the best fit was a 1999 Mercedes Benz
Old 16th May 2007

My Saabs: '07 93 Aero Convertible

The 3.6 is the big brother to the 2.8 so a number of these vehicles have the engine family in common. Clearly a lot more refined than the 3.9 in the Maxx SS, but that car is a blast to drive if you have not tried one. Did not realize it was the common platform.

I think the BLS will be a hit in the US more than in Europe given it will be Caddy's gas saver, but still have the nice dynamics of the 93.

I am going to drive a G6 vert to compare to my 93 vert. I expect the 93's interior is a lot nices, and I KNOW the 93's suspension is much more sophisticated. Still the Aura Redline and 93 actually may have some feel in common - time will tell. That Aura is quicker than my Aero if the rags are right - 0-60 in 5.9, with the redline not yet out!

'07 Laser Red 93 Aero Convertible
'96 & '98 SHOs
Old 16th May 2007

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                

To my eye, there is something funky looking about the longer wheelbase Epsilon platform used on the G6, Malibu Maxx, and the Satrun Aura. I much prefer the look of the shorter wheelbase like the 9-3.

Barry.
'04 Nocturne Blue Arc
Old 16th May 2007

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero 6A, BSR Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechAero
The 3.6 is the big brother to the 2.8 so a number of these vehicles have the engine family in common. Clearly a lot more refined than the 3.9 in the Maxx SS, but that car is a blast to drive if you have not tried one. Did not realize it was the common platform.

I think the BLS will be a hit in the US more than in Europe given it will be Caddy's gas saver, but still have the nice dynamics of the 93.

I am going to drive a G6 vert to compare to my 93 vert. I expect the 93's interior is a lot nices, and I KNOW the 93's suspension is much more sophisticated. Still the Aura Redline and 93 actually may have some feel in common - time will tell. That Aura is quicker than my Aero if the rags are right - 0-60 in 5.9, with the redline not yet out!
The current BLS is not coming to the US (though it is sold in Mexico). FWD does not fit with Cadillac's desired RWD image in this country. The thinking is the next BLS will be RWD and based off of GM's "Alpha" RWD platform. This will be the same platform likely to be the basis for the next G6, which is also going RWD. The next BLS will slot below the CTS as the entry-level Cadillac in the US, but will have nothing in common (but name) with the present 9-3 based car.
Old 16th May 2007
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: '05 S4 // stg2 '03 93ss [sold]

Quote:

i agree completely.. and i came from a '99 hyundai elantra
Old 17th May 2007
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1986 Volvo 245DL
Garage

Ugh, the malibu's are so hidious and awful to drive...i don't know how you can compare them to the 9-3...or any other car.

I have a better one - Malibu or Geo Metro
i would take the Geo, all 25HP of it.
Old 18th May 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 93 ARC

Quote:
I donít quite understand what year youíre comparing too. In the 80s the interior was plain but so was every other car in that era. In the 90s I feel the interior was quite quality. Nice, leather and quality instrumentation. Now the 03+93 has great car layout and ergonomics but the quality is down. Please forgive my examples not everybody agrees.

The rubber peals, the leather does not have that quality feel or look from previous years. The seat clips always come loose plastic covers always pop off. Many different creeks and rattles.

I agree the new styling is sweet and the next upgrade might be better but we are talking about quality.
Miles to Date: 178,000 ish No major problems, Replaced My 1st set of breaks @ 130,000, they lasted for ever. Door handels are now grey, badges are chipped, rubber inside is pealing bad and im on my 4th windshield. Only real problem was a new gas cap and wheel bearing and ac blower. Also dealer replaced broken front springs. SWEET!!!

Last edited by Geeves; 18th May 2007 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement