My 2001 Viggen had sludge.. - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 6th May 2007
snowboardin58's Avatar
snowboardin58 snowboardin58 is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
Location: Michigan
My Saabs: 94 900s,00 Vig,01 SE Wgn,73 240Z,01 Vig
Posts: 1,512
Default My 2001 Viggen had sludge..

We heard some funny noises, including a(possible oil pump) whine. To make a long story short, we drained the oil and scraped, and found sludge. We dropped the pan and voila, the main bearing caps certainly had sludge on them. The pick-up screen was pretty heavily clogged, as well. We cleaned it all up, replaced the filter and 5 quarts of oil cranked her over a bunch, then started her, and the whine went away. It usually idles nicely now, but there is now again a whine when we hit the accelerator. We're going to have a Saab mechanic friend listen, but does anybody have any insight as of now? Is there a certain high capacity oil pump that could be recommended? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 6th May 2007
project13's Avatar
project13 project13 is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
Location: Spokane, WA
My Saabs: 1999 9-3
Posts: 553
Default

What did the whine sound like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 6th May 2007
snowboardin58's Avatar
snowboardin58 snowboardin58 is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
Location: Michigan
My Saabs: 94 900s,00 Vig,01 SE Wgn,73 240Z,01 Vig
Posts: 1,512
Default

whiiiinnneee


no actually we thought it was a tensioner of something at first. It wasn't super high-pitched or super low-pitched. I'll try to record it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 7th May 2007
stamonkey's Avatar
stamonkey stamonkey is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: May 2006                                                
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
My Saabs: 1988 C900 SPG
Posts: 1,906
Default

Is it a bit like a super charger? Mine makes a sound a bit like a super charger at low rpms and when the motor is cold. I haven't really diagnosed the problem however.

I checked the top end for sludge and it didn't look too bad. I'm going to wait for summer to drop the oil pan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 7th May 2007
snowboardin58's Avatar
snowboardin58 snowboardin58 is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
Location: Michigan
My Saabs: 94 900s,00 Vig,01 SE Wgn,73 240Z,01 Vig
Posts: 1,512
Default

I think it is a bit like a supercharger actually.

I thought the 1999's wern't affected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 7th May 2007
stevehayes01's Avatar
stevehayes01 stevehayes01 is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
Location: Jacksonville, Fl.
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 SE HOT Automagic
Posts: 1,687
Default

What you could be hearing now is turbo whine from the sludge clogging/coking the bearings in the TD04. Is the noise varied as you get on and off the throttle?


Do you ever get any smoke or anything from the tail pipe? My guess is that you will be rebuilding the turbo soon unfortunatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 7th May 2007
hkayssi hkayssi is offline
Saab on the Brain!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
Location: Montreal, Canada
My Saabs: 1997 900S
Posts: 7,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamonkey
Is it a bit like a super charger? Mine makes a sound a bit like a super charger at low rpms and when the motor is cold. I haven't really diagnosed the problem however.

I checked the top end for sludge and it didn't look too bad. I'm going to wait for summer to drop the oil pan.
Wait for the summer
You'll need to buy a new turbo at least by then if you're lucky or a new engine if you're not.

Sludge causes oil strarvation. You need to fix that ASAP

That's if it's a sludge issue. Other causes for the whining is a bad tensioner pulley or water pump, steering pump or alternator. They all have bearings and when they go bad they whine too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 7th May 2007
earthworm's Avatar
earthworm earthworm is offline
Saab Sage!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
Location: Goldsboro, PA
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu
Posts: 21,165
Default

The WP, alternator, PS bearings can be eliminated by releasing the belt tension.

Maybe this whine is from the turbo bearings.
Is it possible to use a hearing device here ?
I hate to guess.
But if the noise is in the engine and you plan to rebuild; why not rebuild the turbo??
__________________
The earthworm
'96 900S, Automatic
Those who think in the past will have no future.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 7th May 2007
hkayssi hkayssi is offline
Saab on the Brain!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
Location: Montreal, Canada
My Saabs: 1997 900S
Posts: 7,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm
The WP, alternator, PS bearings can be eliminated by releasing the belt tension.

Maybe this whine is from the turbo bearings.
Is it possible to use a hearing device here ?
I hate to guess.
But if the noise is in the engine and you plan to rebuild; why not rebuild the turbo??
Yes It could be the turbo bearings but that's why he can't wait till summer to check into it. It'll be costlier by then and the engine may be too far gone as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 7th May 2007
lms's Avatar
lms lms is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
Location: United States
Posts: 3,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehayes01
What you could be hearing now is turbo whine from the sludge clogging/coking the bearings in the TD04. Is the noise varied as you get on and off the throttle?


Do you ever get any smoke or anything from the tail pipe? My guess is that you will be rebuilding the turbo soon unfortunatly.
My car makes this type of sound. Only when there is a load, can't hear at idle or when I rev it. Drives me crazy and it has me worried (2002). I pulled the valve cover and you could eat out of the negine it's so clean. But I guess the screen could be clogged? If I get off the gas, noise goes away. I have a new turbo, but noise is still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 7th May 2007
stamonkey's Avatar
stamonkey stamonkey is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: May 2006                                                
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
My Saabs: 1988 C900 SPG
Posts: 1,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkayssi
Wait for the summer
You'll need to buy a new turbo at least by then if you're lucky or a new engine if you're not.

Sludge causes oil strarvation. You need to fix that ASAP

That's if it's a sludge issue. Other causes for the whining is a bad tensioner pulley or water pump, steering pump or alternator. They all have bearings and when they go bad they whine too.
Well, I have made it 25k with the whine. This noise only happens during the winter time or on really cold mornings. Keep in mind I have inspected the TOP of the engine for sludge and there was none. I plan on inspecting the bottom end this summer. It seems to me that the wine is just from the transmission anyways. My guess is that the oil in the trans is a bit cold. My Datsun makes the same noise only a whole lot louder when its cold. I'll have to wait for another cold morning to see if I can get a video for you kids.

My solution for the whine in the Datsun was redline manual trans fluid. I think I'll add that to my things to do for the summer in the Saab

Last edited by stamonkey; 7th May 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 7th May 2007
lms's Avatar
lms lms is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
Location: United States
Posts: 3,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamonkey
Well, I have made it 25k with the whine. This noise only happens during the winter time or on really cold mornings. Keep in mind I have inspected the TOP of the engine for sludge and there was none. I plan on inspecting the bottom end this summer. It seems to me that the wine is just from the transmission anyways. My guess is that the oil in the trans is a bit cold. My Datsun makes the same noise only a whole lot louder when its cold. I'll have to wait for another cold morning to see if I can get a video for you kids.

My solution for the whine in the Datsun was redline manual trans fluid. I think I'll add that to my things to do for the summer in the Saab
If in gear under load, no boost does the noise go away when you let off the gas? Mine does. Anyone know what the oil pump sounds Like? In my case I would think that if it was the oil pump that I would hear it all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 7th May 2007
snowboardin58's Avatar
snowboardin58 snowboardin58 is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
Location: Michigan
My Saabs: 94 900s,00 Vig,01 SE Wgn,73 240Z,01 Vig
Posts: 1,512
Default

mine case sounds similar to lms', I think. If I can, I will record sound or even video. I ALMOST hope I need to rebuild the turbo, because I would get an 18T then!! but I want the hardtop tuned, not the vert..much better handler!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 7th May 2007
stevehayes01's Avatar
stevehayes01 stevehayes01 is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
Location: Jacksonville, Fl.
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 SE HOT Automagic
Posts: 1,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardin58
mine case sounds similar to lms', I think. If I can, I will record sound or even video. I ALMOST hope I need to rebuild the turbo, because I would get an 18T then!! but I want the hardtop tuned, not the vert..much better handler!
See this is where you swap the 18T onto the hardtop and move the stock turbo from the hardtop to the Vert.



Are you getting any smoke at any time??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 7th May 2007
stamonkey's Avatar
stamonkey stamonkey is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: May 2006                                                
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
My Saabs: 1988 C900 SPG
Posts: 1,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardin58
mine case sounds similar to lms', I think. If I can, I will record sound or even video. I ALMOST hope I need to rebuild the turbo, because I would get an 18T then!! but I want the hardtop tuned, not the vert..much better handler!
See if you can't get some good sound or video. I'll have to wait for colder weather for mine. I went to lunch, with no whine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16  
Old 7th May 2007
snowboardin58's Avatar
snowboardin58 snowboardin58 is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
Location: Michigan
My Saabs: 94 900s,00 Vig,01 SE Wgn,73 240Z,01 Vig
Posts: 1,512
Default

no smoke as of now. I'll see if my cell phone can capture decent sound, if not I'll upload a giant video camera file.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 7th May 2007
stamonkey's Avatar
stamonkey stamonkey is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: May 2006                                                
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
My Saabs: 1988 C900 SPG
Posts: 1,906
Default

Ok, I have determined in my drive back from the office, with the windows down and my head hanging out the window, that the whine only occurs in second gear at low speeds and low rpms. Once the car has been driven for a bit, the noise stops entirely. The whine is very faint and can't be heard with the windows up. I am at 98k right now and have driven the car about 25k since I have owned. I have changed my oil with full synthetic every 3k miles, and changed the pcv about 10k ago. I also inspected the top end for sludge when I changed the pcv (and before I bought it). I burn no oil, and get decent gas mileage. Sooooo, I am sticking with my guess of a noisy transmission. In a month, when I head home for 6 weeks, I'll be dropping the oil pan, changing the trans fluid, and HOPEFULLY adding a Wazee pulley (if they are ever back in stock ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 31st May 2007
snowboardin58's Avatar
snowboardin58 snowboardin58 is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
Location: Michigan
My Saabs: 94 900s,00 Vig,01 SE Wgn,73 240Z,01 Vig
Posts: 1,512
Default

****. My Dad pulled the va;ve cover off the other day and its pretty bad. Luckily we havn't heard a tick or knock, but I assume that is the next step in the engine's demise. There is a lot of sludge up there, even on the cams and covering some of the bolts completely. Any advice? I want to tear the motor apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 31st May 2007
project13's Avatar
project13 project13 is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
Location: Spokane, WA
My Saabs: 1999 9-3
Posts: 553
Default

Got any pictures?

Sorry to hear about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 31st May 2007
hkayssi hkayssi is offline
Saab on the Brain!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
Location: Montreal, Canada
My Saabs: 1997 900S
Posts: 7,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardin58
****. My Dad pulled the va;ve cover off the other day and its pretty bad. Luckily we havn't heard a tick or knock, but I assume that is the next step in the engine's demise. There is a lot of sludge up there, even on the cams and covering some of the bolts completely. Any advice? I want to tear the motor apart.
Was the turbo ever replaced? Is the car smoking in the back? The turbo tends to be the first symptom of bad damage. Also SAAB extended the sludge warranty to 8 years. Is this the flood recovery Viggen? If so, I'm not surprised. I doubt SAAB would repair a car with a Salvage title even on a recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SaabCentral Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

top of page | sitemap | email us



copyright © 2003 - 2011 saabcentral.com, All rights reserved http://www.whiter.co.uk - valid xhtml - valid css
SaabCentral is an independently run website and is not affiliated in any way to Saab Automobile AB.


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.