Big T software....little t engine? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th May 2007

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 2.0t-Current '97 900 S-First Love
Default Big T software....little t engine?

So I've been thinking: what is the difference between linears and arc/vectors/old aeros? Essentially saab is selling the same car with different tuning(well different turbo, differerent injectors and possibly some other small hardware differences) in order to sell more cars. How would my 2.0t respond to tuning software for the big T engine assuming I made necessary hardware changes? Is this possible? I would imagine it wouild work with only the new injectors.......work well and for long with a different turbo. Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure what all the PPCs reprogram, if it just adds its own boost, fuel and timing maps, then why would it matter what current settings it is overriding?
I know people debate constantly on whether or not the ECU upgrade is worth the money, but personally I have trouble spending close to a grand on 30 hp, I do however have little problem paying a little bit more for injectors and a rebuilt turbo to get 70 more hp. Anyway, thanks for the help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th May 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 SC 2.0T

A 20% or so power increase on a 2.0t (a true 30 hp) for a grand is dirt cheap when I compare to cost of my Corvette past ...
Old 4th May 2007

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 03 9-3 2.0t-Current '97 900 S-First Love

well simple turbocharger tuning isn't even compairable to doing an N/A buildup on a car that already has 400 hp(500 z06). However comparing our car to a wrx, or other traditionally turbocharged cars that lack the ridiculous and unnecessary computer software that we deal with......a grand is absurd.

Anyone besides me finding themselves asking: "Why was it again I got rid of my 900?"
Old 4th May 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: MY04 93SS Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayarekay338
So I've been thinking: what is the difference between linears and arc/vectors/old aeros? Essentially saab is selling the same car with different tuning(well different turbo, differerent injectors and possibly some other small hardware differences) in order to sell more cars. How would my 2.0t respond to tuning software for the big T engine assuming I made necessary hardware changes? Is this possible? I would imagine it wouild work with only the new injectors.......work well and for long with a different turbo. Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure what all the PPCs reprogram, if it just adds its own boost, fuel and timing maps, then why would it matter what current settings it is overriding?
I know people debate constantly on whether or not the ECU upgrade is worth the money, but personally I have trouble spending close to a grand on 30 hp, I do however have little problem paying a little bit more for injectors and a rebuilt turbo to get 70 more hp. Anyway, thanks for the help in advance.
Yes it can be done. but you would need to have a very supportive dealer with the tech II and lotsa of parts for the upgrade. its a nice jump from a 195hp to 260 worth of hp.... a lot of work and $$ involved
Old 4th May 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

You would need BSR or some other tuner to give you software that doesn't match your VIN.

Someone had asked this exact question a few years ago. As I recall there are other issues. A major one is the cam is different between the big and little "t" motors.
Old 4th May 2007
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dach
Yes it can be done. but you would need to have a very supportive dealer with the tech II and lotsa of parts for the upgrade. its a nice jump from a 195hp to 260 worth of hp.... a lot of work and $$ involved
Wouldn't it be easier to find a bodywork damage total loss 2.0T and transplant the engine.
Old 4th May 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Wouldn't it be easier to find a bodywork damage total loss 2.0T and transplant the engine.
He's talking about getting tuning software in there as well. Most of that goes by VIN. So you would need a VIN for a 2.0T car.
Old 4th May 2007

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Linear

Since the tuning software is overwriting the software on the ecu anyway it seems that as long as the correct vin was programed into the PPC it should be able to write a calibration of a 2.0T on a 2.0t car.

Does anyone have an proof that the cams between the two cars are different? Not trying to call anyone a liar, I would just like to see something in print.
Old 4th May 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex D
A 20% or so power increase on a 2.0t (a true 30 hp) for a grand is dirt cheap when I compare to cost of my Corvette past ...
Yeah, but a $1k to take a car from about 15.9 to 15.4 isn't fantastic in the least.

You could tune another 30hp out of your Vette with the free software and a laptop. 20% for a Vette is 100hp though . . . so although difficult, you could get near that for $1k. Free tune with some headers, LS6 manifold and lid and you could get about 60hp or so, at the least.

However, you could get a nitrous kit for under a grand all day and add about 200hp on a stock LS1.
Old 4th May 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte345
Does anyone have an proof that the cams between the two cars are different? Not trying to call anyone a liar, I would just like to see something in print.
I should fine you for contempt of thread!
See post #2, barrister.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42235
Old 4th May 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 Base Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte345
From the Stickies at the top of the forum ("L" is 2.0t and "R" is 2.0T):

Quote:
The Turbocharger was changed for the Aero engine.

B207L: 12 755 106
B207R: 12 788 719

A myriad of tubes and gaskets were changed for the different turbo, so upgrading to the Aero turbo would be tricky, but do-able. I have part numbers for all the various tubes etc.

The "R" engine got a different intake manifold.

B207E-L: 55 352 121
B207R: 55 352 128

Also a different PCV valve:

B207E-L: 12 786 376
B207R: 12 797 658

The "R" engine again got a different fuel rail and injectors:

Fuel Rails:

B207E-L: 12 790 824
B207R: 12 790 826

Injectors:

B207E-L: 12 801 655
B207R: 12 801 656

The "R" engine also got a different flywheel (55 353 856), and the "L" and "R" engine share a screw which has a different part number on the "E" engine.

All of the bottom-end internals appear to be the same including connecting rods, pistons, crankshaft, and bearings.

The "R" engine got a different cyllinder head assembly:

B207E-L: 55 353 477
B207R: 55 353 478

The reason for the different assembly part numbers may only be a result of camshafts inside the head which were changed. It may also have a different casting. There is no EPC listing for the bare head itself.

The "R" engine got different camshafts on both intake and exhaust, but all other parts inside the head appear to be the same. Here are the "R" spec camshaft part numbers. (I'm assuming no one wants the "E" and "L" PNs.)

Intake: 12 792 364
Exhaust: 12 788 844

The "R" engine also got a different valve cover. (12 797 659)
Old 5th May 2007
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: MY04 93SS Aero

I am not sure if fuel rail is the same meaning as Fuel pressure regulator, but the FPR is different too.
Old 5th May 2007

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayarekay338
The Trionic8 system includes 4 diffrent torque curves.So the 1,8t and 2,0t ECU have same programes with a torque curves for 1,8t man and one for 1,8t aut and allso one for 2,0t man and 2,0t aut.So there absolutly no diffrence in the sw.For the 2,0T engine its include 1 for 2,0Tman and one for 2,0T Aut and allso one for 1,8tman and one for 1,8t aut.So if you change injector and the HW from a 2,0T in your 2,0t and puts in a sw for a 2,0T your car runs like 1,8t with 150Hp.So if you want more power you must go to a tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement