SaabCentral Forums banner

Convertable top sticky maybe?

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rush_ad 
#1 ·
I read this and it seems to help A LOT of people with convertible top problems, I cant twait to try it on BOTH of my broken convertible tops with weekend. anyways, Its been taken from a post in SAABNET...

"I think you may be interested in knowing that you 93 convertible may be delivered with very low oil level in the soft top hydraulic pump.
After a few years, even if there are not oil leaks, the oil level will reach a critical point and this is due (in my opinion) to the increased diameter of the ten hoses connecting the pump to the system.
The diameter increase of the ten hoses is probably due to the stress caused by the high pressure at wich the oil is pumped.

Therefore if you get a SID message "Soft Top Failure" check first the oil level in the pump and if it is low add some oil. I used 5W-40 sintetic motor oil with no problems at all. --USE OIL LISTED AT BOTTOM OF PAGE

You may also try to listen at the pump "voice" when operating the soft top to understand if the oil level is low. To do so lower the back seat using the key. The pump is under the plastic trim surrounding the hole connecting the trunk to the cabin.

The sound will not be a continuous zizizizizizizizizizizi but it will be like zizizizeezizizzeeezizizeezizizi. This will tell that air is being sucked togheter with the oil.

The procedure to add oil is simple.

1.) Close top.

2.) Lower the back seat.

3.) Remove the pins (four pins has a retain inner pin which could be removed with the help of a small screwdriver.

4.) Remove the plastic trim. There is the pump and the manual bypass valve mentioned in the istruction book.

5.) Remove the 8 nuts off the plate(3 of them are facing the trunk but you can reach them form the cabin (no need to put yourself in the trunk)

6.) Lift the plate towards the trunk letting it turn on the hinges. To do so you need to lift a little bit the cloth of the soft top vane. If the top is not closed you will not be able to put the pump in the upright position.

7.) Put a wrench under the pump so that it would not fall back.

8.) On the right of the pump assembly there is a round plastic tank( like a plastic glass) with a nut on it. On the bottom of the plastic tank there are two signs. The oil must be at least in the middle of the two signs.

9.) If it is not that high, remove the nut and using a syringe fill with oil up the middle of the signs.

10.) Put back the nut without forcing too much and taking care in getting the thread right or you will destroy the plastic.

11.) Reposition the pump turning back the plate in the original position also checking that the hoses will not be pinched under the plate. This may cut them!. Reassamble everithing tightening the 8 nuts and reposition the plastic trim.

12.) Operate the soft top looking with satisfacion at how smooth and silent it is now!

13.) Have a beer and enjoy the feeling of having a convertible with perfecly working soft top. (send some malediction to SAAB for not filling with enough oil the tank is Optional). " -- SAABNET POST

SAAB ROOF HYDRAULIC OIL--> Get from GMPARTSDIRECT.com , # 89022748

See less See more
#2 ·
fluid question

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try filling the hydraulic fluid in my non-functioning convertible top. Just checking first though....was the 5w40 synthetic motor oil (engine oil, right?) you used successful? If this worked fine for you, I'd much prefer spending $7 on it than $46 on the Saab oil through the link you provided. Thanks for the feedback!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.