How many 2003'ers re-bought - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th April 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3 ARC, '07 9-3 AERO
Default How many 2003'ers re-bought

Alright,
How many who bought a 2003 have purchased another newer 93?
With the exception of the moerators, I do not see many of the 2003/2004 guys here anymore.
This summer I will be replacing my 2003 ARC. I will be passing it along to my daughter with about 105K miles on it.
I have been looking for something else the last few months, and nothing seems as cool. I would like a black AERO 2007 before the poor front end design 2008 comes out. Here are the cars that are in the running, but nothing quite stacks up.
G35x - rocket ship, great engine, awesome new design BUT, there is just something missing.
325 - i think BMW lost it with this latest one. I hate the interior design. it is tiny, and they are trying to be too bold with the outside lines. don't like it.
TL - BORING
cooper S - love the car, but too small
A4 - everything great, BUT tail light redsign is the same as the Honda Civic, and Hyundai. pricey$$$$, and gas mileage is very poor. cant find anyone who gets even close to what AUDI states.
Mercedes - nothing interesting

Am I missing a car that I should check out?

I have been very happy with my ARC despite all the little issues.
Looks like it will be an AERO. Still love the style. not to sure about the newest interior, but it will do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

One year to go on my lease on my 2003. Wasn't going to get another Saab but after looking around, the best value for money is still the Saab. So depending on what the facelift looks like next year I think I'll be going the whole hog and splurging on an Aero vert.

I've looked at Audi TT, Nissan 350Z, BMW 325c, Audi A4 and in terms of styling, performance (350Z maybe is better) and features. the Saab still give you the best bang for your buck. Pity about some of the build quality issues, but I can live with that. Anyway Saabs are not regarded as in the same league as BMW. merc etc here. Equivalent specced and performing BMWs and Mercs are about 20-30% more expensive than Saabs in Australia. So were really comparing build quality with apples and oranges (at least here).

Last edited by Saba; 26th April 2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 26th April 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3 ARC, '07 9-3 AERO

I like the TT and the 350Z too, but they are ruled out as still drive my kids all around.

also, lets say that the BMW 3 and the 93 are priced identically for the same options. I know it is soooo highly touted that the 3 series is the great machine, and it may be great to drive with incredible handling, I just don't like the looks of the inside OR the outside.
i think our 93's handle and feel great on the road.
I have also talked to a few buddies with TL, 3 series, and A4. they all have rattle and maintenance issues just like we do.
Old 26th April 2007

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 03 Vector 93 black

Once a cynic, always a cynic (me).

real world numbers for the 350Z are somewhere in the 15-18 mpg around town. when will gas prices influence the cars we buy? Maybe i'm just stingy.

Happy looking, it is always exciting when you are in for a change.
Old 26th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: Formerly, 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

The warranty on my 2003 expired Monday. The car is still with me and I have no plans to replace it. I still love it.
Old 26th April 2007

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: Vector 6spd

i'll be rockin the vector for a while now that its "tweaked"

and will def. get another 03-07 aero if this one pops
Old 26th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3CV Aero TTiD 180

I've re-bought.......twice.

I originally had a 2003 Aero, then a 2005 1.9TiD Vector Sport and I am now in a 2006 Aero 2.0T.

I do a lot of miles and have been very happy with my 9-3's although I won't be buying another one this time. I just want a change!

ALready ordered my new car:

Audi A4 Avant 2.0T S-Line Special Edition.

Hope its as good to me as the 9-3's have been.

Old 26th April 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-7x 5.3i
Thumbs up

Still love seeing my Vector each morning... but... I have considered straying a few times.

The only thing that I like at the moment is the 2008 CTS.

Its not coming out until fall, but so far looks really good... but it will have to be pretty damn good to part with my Saaby.

G35x... I really don't like the exterior. BMW eh... can't toss a stone without hitting 5 of them around here... Audi.. no thanks... Mercedes... is a crappy Chrysler...

The only thing that makes me think "Damn that thing is SCHWEET" when I approach it is my gf and my saaby.
That being said, I doubt I would rebuy a 9-3. I would just keep my current one or try something else.

CTS or CTS-V 2008...

Life is good my friends.
Jim

Last edited by jimbayne; 26th April 2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 26th April 2007

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 slighlty modified

i had a 2003 linear and then bought a 2006 2.0T. Another saab was the most bang for my buck with a 2nd kid on the way. I would prefer a bmw m3 or an audi S4 (yeah not quite the same price or catergory i know but a guy can dream).

{I only pretend to know what I am talking about}
Old 26th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: Now: 2006 Silver 9-3 Aero 6M Sport Sedan

Traded in my 2003 Launch Linear (which I still loved), for a ~great~ deal on an 2006 Aero.
Old 26th April 2007

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                

Here in Spain there are more BMW's than Ford Mondeo or whatever is called in the USA. Company cars are here BMW and AUDI the most.

I do not like 325 but 325c is really cool from the outside, it seems a very improved version compared to 4 Doors version.

For Audi A4 I dunno if it is worth buying because they will change the whole car in a few months, the same "plattform" as the new A5. The S-Line Edition seems still cool.
Mercedes is almost selling the new "C", I like it but not the price.

I owe a 2003 93ss, I seriously doubt buying another one due to quality problems. I am enjoying mine now since the last 6 months all have been OK...
Old 26th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: SAAB-less

The government has started showing their revised expectations for fuel economy. The new estimate for my 2004 9-3SS Aero is 21MPG avg which is right on the money for my driving style (city/highway mix, heavy foot sometimes).
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp

I just shopped for a replacement for my 2004 Aero. I wanted RWD or AWD, either wagon or fold down rear seats since this my only car and needs some utility, reasonable gas mileage (avg 20mpg or better), sporty and fun to drive, technology equipped (bluetooth and sat radio integrated), stick and preferably Euro because I just like the way they feel.
  • The new G35 is nice but the fuel economy stinks. Rear seats do not fold. I crossed it off my list.
  • SAAB 9-3/9-5. Been there done that. I'd just keep my 2004 if I wanted to keep driving a 9-3. The new 9-5 front-end is . . . well . . . let's just say I don't like it. That they've cheapened the interior is just an insult to the brand so I'll be curious to see the new 9-5 in a couple of years.
  • Lexus IS250/350. The 250 is a dog to put it nicely. The 350 is nice, very quick, but . . . I dunno, something about it just didn't do it for me. Rear seats do not fold. Was still on my list when I finally bought a car.
  • The TL is a lux'ed out Accord. A very nice car but I wanted something RWD this time. Rear seats do not fold.
  • The A3/A4 were both in the running with Quattro (3.2 variants only) but pricy and low on the reliability scale. The A4 is about to get a complete redesign as the engine gets moved rearward for better handling. Rear seats fold standard on the A4 and I really like the new look. The A4 3.2 V6 was in the ballpark of the 335i so I kept shopping. Interior quality beats them all.
  • Mercedes - didn't even look. Their new C-Class sport is getting a lot of press but so does American Idol. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.
  • BMW 328i/335i - The 328i was fun to drive but when I compared the standard options on the 335i vs what was non-standard on the 328i, the engine upgrade for the 335i was not that much in the grand scheme of things. With Euro delivery pricing the torque and rock-solid build quality won me over. Added folding rear seats (yes, it's a BMW, you pay for everything beyond seats and a steering wheel.) The new body styling is not my favorite but in their titanium silver it is stunning in person. The car is still on the boat somewhere outside port of NY . . . sigh.
Really it's a great time to be shopping for an entry level sports sedan because along with SAABs there are just a lot of good cars out there right now. It really depends a lot on what you're driving, what you can spend, and what your needs are. If I lived in the NE or other snowy region then AWD would probably be a must for me and would have heavily influence my buying decision.
Old 26th April 2007

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                

Quote:
Mercedes - didn't even look. Their new C-Class sport is getting a lot of press but so does American Idol. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.

I agree with your assessment mostly and I think fold down seats are necessary.

I personally think the new C class will sell well, and is a great competitor too those above. The BMW is an excellent choice.

Last edited by dmg; 26th April 2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 26th April 2007

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 SS Aero

2008 Cadillac CTS or maybe a 2008 Pontiac G8 (aka Holden Commodore)

my 2c.
Old 26th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

I wish we could get the Ford Mondeo here . . . The domestic car makers seem to ignore the likes of people like us who are willing to pay more but demand more. The Mustang is cool for what it is, and I know Cadillac has really improved their cars and continues to do so, but the styling is just not for me, it's distinctly . . . non-European. I don't know much about the G8 but will take a look. I'm actually rooting for the big three because it's in my country's vested interest for them to survive but . . . not seeing much good recently and some deep holes to climb out of.
Old 26th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg
I personally think the new C class will sell well, and is a great competitor too those above. The BMW is an excellent choice.

Given how the current C class has sold I think you are right. People lease them so long-term reliability is of little concern. I already know I'll buy the extended warranty on the BMW and get rid of it before 100K miles. Frankly the reason I didn't really look was a friend of mine has one of the earliest models of the C class and told me it costs him $500 to get an oil change due to some sort of "oil cartridge" construction. I doubt very seriously that the current cars are built the same way (no way they could be) but I knew I probably wouldn't be driving an MB at the end of the day. I do like the looks of the new C sport model with the emblem on the grill - very sharp.
Old 26th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: Formerly, 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22
I wish we could get the Ford Mondeo here .
You can - in the US it's called the Contour (or Mercury Mystique.)
Old 26th April 2007
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: BMW 335i;('06 9 Aero BSR Stage 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22
I wish we could get the Ford Mondeo here . . .
FYI The Ford Mondeo was sold here as the Ford Contour and the Mercury Mystique. From what I recall they didn't sell all that well here.
Old 26th April 2007
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: BMW 335i;('06 9 Aero BSR Stage 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl
You can - in the US it's called the Contour (or Mercury Mystique.)

WOW Talk about timing!!!
Old 26th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

OK guys I GET IT! Contour or Mystique! Headed to Autotrader right now!

Yeah, I recognize it - pretty bland. Nevermind...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement