SaabCentral Forums banner

Key stuck in ignition.

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  '97 Saab SE Turbo 
#1 ·
Yeah it really sucks. I just spent all this time and money replacing my throw out bearing. I finally get it back together yesterday, it runs and drives great. Today I noticed I can't get the key out (I had to mess with the shifter linkage so I can get into 5th gear.) Now it would seem like the logical solution is to keep messing with the linkage which I have been doing (since I didn't have this problem yesterday) but yeah as most of you know with cars, there is always something else.

I just want any hints and tips. It's been 6 weeks that I had this car on a jack (between work and school and ordering parts, not a lot of time to work on it) which also ment I had to get a ride every where. I finally get it done and wow, key won't come out. Any help I would greatly appreciate it. I love workin on cars but for cryin out loud, I want this to be done!

#3 ·
Well I know it has something to do with the sensor when you put it in the reverse gear. My reverse lights do not come on any more. I thinking that no reverse lights and my key stuck in the ignition have something in common. I tried to get a schematic and location of the circuit for this but Alldata doesn't have much for Saab. Any help would be great.

#4 ·
The transmission is not in reverse; the key cannot be removed until she is fully in reverse.
Easy for me to say:cheesy:
Perhaps a trip to the underneath, the shift rod area.
How was the key extraction ease before all the transmission work ??
Place her in reverse and make the adjustments and repairs..
You may have to buy a Haynes manual which is much better than Alldata ?
And the Haynes is of limited value...I am trying to be kind..:(
Actully, its better than I think..
I'm spoiled by Munki,DIP, and PMI, and many others here on SaabCentral.

#5 ·
That could be possible, however the reverse lights would come on even if it isn't fully in reverse. I've played with the shift linkage enough times to where nothing more can be done with it. I really don't think that would be the cause however I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm still thinking is has to do with a switch in the reverse light/ignition circuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.