SaabCentral Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2003 saab 93 5 speed- rpm issue.

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  9-3gotboostAERO 
#1 ·
I feel that my saab should be running a lot better. While driving on a thruway in ny. going about 65-70 my saab runs around 2500 rpms.

now on my dads Chrysler 300 it runs under 2000, some times 1500.

I just wanna know if its a engine problem?

#2 ·
RPM's have to do with the way the car is geared, not with how well its running. The gear ratios are completely different in those two cars.

#8 ·
That is 'cuz an automatic is usually in a lower gear...IE 3rd or 4th while accelerating to make it easier on the engine. Then once it gets to speed it will drop gears to its highest gear for cruising. If you are already in the highest gear there is no where for the RPMs to drop

#7 ·
you only have 5 gears and a shorter gear length

your dad's 300 is an automatic in which the torque converter slips to keep the rpms low when cruising.

There is nothing wrong with your car

#10 ·
Im going to go out on a limb here...but my guess would be the fact that you need to know the basics about cars before you attempt to drive one...

This might be a better thread to start posting your questions in
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80257 as we expect the questions like the ones you are asking in that thread.

(can anyone else tell I quit smoking...I think im a lil grumpy) :lol:

#17 ·
Um, what's the point of the grumpyness? We are all naive about something at some point. I'm sure experts in PWM would consider lots of the electronics questions here to be silly, and I'm not a huge fan of octane/performance/cost questions but that doesn't mean I don't respect the asker.

The cars will run differently because the gear ratios are different. Bigger motors can usually run a bit slower and produce more power, but there are other trade offs like the lock up torque converter on automatics. In a manuals, the rpms in any given gear are completely linked to the cars speed, so there's no way for the rpms to drop once you're in 5th gear. In other words, in a manual the connection between the wheels and the engine is completely solid. If you've seen the rpms drop in other manual cars, it almost has to have been a problem with the tach itself :D.

Now, for the important question, what's making you think it's running hot? Does the temp gauge get very high? Technically, unless the overheating light lights up you're fine, even if the needle goes up. If the car is really running hot, the most likely cause is that the thermostat is on the way out, and this is a relatively easy and cheap thing to fix.

Subjectively, because the motor is compact and powerful and crammed into a tiny space, it will feel hotter than motors in a lot of other cars and this is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.