SaabCentral Forums banner

Automatic Shifter Light Replacement

11K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  03 9-3 SE Convertible 
#1 · (Edited)
Gear Indicator Light Replacement

I have a 1998 900 SE 2.0 Turbo, and I am going through working out all the little things that are wrong with her. She is 93k and going strong!

My question is with the lights that tell you what gear your in. I have read there are two bulbs, and one of them is out.

What I need to know is how to get in and change those bulbs.

Does anyone have a Hayes manual for the 98 900 that can help me out? Maybe someone has taken it apart and can tell me how they did it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my the things that are wrong, that is on my to-do list: :confused:

Gear Indicator Light Replacement
Rear window washer doesn't work
Headlight washers doesn't work
Glove compartment light doesn't work

See less See more
#2 ·
I've taken it apart, for another reason, and I think I might be able to help.

This site helps to dismantle the dash. Once you get in there are 4 torx screws holding down the instrument cluster. Take it out and remove the large wiring harness from the back.

Now remove the several torx (I believe) from the outside casing, and the back of the cluster comes off. Do it carefully there are wires or something running between the back and front. Take note of where the wires go so you can get them back. Now all those little holes are bulbs I believe. I've never taken one out, but it looks as though you turn them and they pop out for replacement.

http://www.saabcentral.com/~munki/technical/interior/dashboard_insert.htm

Now if only someone could get around to answering my questions...;)

#3 ·
Thanks for replying. Do I have to take apart the whole front end of the car to get to the center console (between the seats) to replace the bulbs for the gear shifter? I hope not! :confused:

I book marked the site just incase I do have to take part of it apart.

What questions do you have.. maybe you should post them like I did, each one linked together! :)

Let me know about the main console.. that would seem a bit excessive.

#4 ·
The gearshift position illumination works not in the '96 bluebird as well.

I suspect the cover can be pried off with a little screwdriver - most of the panels and covers seem to be very easy to remove - even the entire console..
And this should be done every so often as the console and the area between the seats can be quite the dirt and lost objects haven:cheesy: ..

#6 ·
Oh where are the lights? I have a manual so I was thinking it would be in the instrument cluster. If its in the center console you probably just have to remove the shifter knob assembly if possible. Or maybe the whole center console. I don't know cause I have a manual and the section around the shifter is very easy to pop out. ;)

#7 ·
If you have't already done it, I'll post my experience in a few days. I'm waiting for an order from thesaabsite right now, and 2 of those bulbs are part of that order.
I've had the console out before, and saw where one bulb is - Right behind the duct on the driver's side which supplies air to the vents at the rear of the console.
Where the other bulb is, I have no idea. Wasn't really looking for it at the time.
I can't see any way you could possibly replace the bulbs without removing the console first.

#9 ·
I too am in the same boat with the shifter lights. Both of mine are dead though, so it makes for a fun time in the dark. The Haynes manual has a good write up on taking apart the centre console. You will pretty much need to get the whole thing out or slid backwards, then remove the vertical facia around the stereo/heat controls to release the front end of the gear shifter face.

As for the bulb itself PMI was kind enough to give me this information:
Article : Shifter Bulb
PartNo : 8500613
Order Quantity : 2

#10 ·
Slaab4life said:
I too am in the same boat with the shifter lights. Both of mine are dead though, so it makes for a fun time in the dark. The Haynes manual has a good write up on taking apart the centre console. You will pretty much need to get the whole thing out or slid backwards, then remove the vertical facia around the stereo/heat controls to release the front end of the gear shifter face.

As for the bulb itself PMI was kind enough to give me this information:
Article : Shifter Bulb
PartNo : 8500613
Order Quantity : 2
Thanks.. heading to E-bay to buy one now. I have wanted one for a while, not it gives me a firm reason to buy one :)

If anyone does this, please post here so we all can know what to expect, also any tips you have on how to do things along the way.

#11 ·
I wonder if that same part number can be used to order new bulbs from the UK....These important numbers should be listed in the owners manual, in the same high quality as used to display service for the larger bulbs(lamps).

#13 ·
rainmn said:
According to my invoice from thesaabsite, the part # for the bulb is 12798389, superceded from 8555831.
so we have a few numbers for the same bulb....

thesaabsite: 12798389, superceded from 8555831
haynes manual: 8500613

I guess I will see if anyone local has either of them, I would hate to get it all part and not have the bulb in hand. :cry:

#14 ·
Ok, replaced the bulbs today. Couple of quick points: Yes, there are two bulbs. Yes, the part # I posted earlier in this thread must be correct, since I got the correct bulbs. Lastly, no, I didn't get any pictures. About halfway through, I thought to take them, then realized my wife had the camera. (She had the kids too, so I can't complain)
To start, follow these directions: http://www.mpperformance.com/saab-shortshift-install.htm to get the console out. My car has manual climate control, so that part was a little different...three electrical plugs, and you have to remove the cable from the temp. control. There's a little metal clip on the cable end - pull it, and the cable can be released.
Once all that is out, remove the HVAC duct from the driver's side that runs from the dash to the rear of the console. Nothing holds it in, but you have to do some wiggling to get it out.
Finally, pop the trim around the shifter loose. Three clips hold it in place that should be pretty obvious. You won't get it totally off, since the shifter is in the way, but you don't need to. Look on the driver's side, and one bulb is obvious. The second is further back, and a little harder to see. Just follow the wires from the front bulb, since they go to the other socket. Pull the sockets out, replace the bulbs, and snap them back into place.
Put everything back together in reverse order (Don't forget the white plastic piece for the air direction control if you have manual climate control.) All together, it took me about an hour, or three beers, however you measure.

#17 · (Edited)
Rainmn,

Great Job.. When I get my car back from the shop, I am planning on doing this too. Thanks for the link, it will be a big help when I start in on it and I am going to order the bulbs tomorrow so I will have them in hand.

I can't find the bulbs by part # on thesaabsite, can you post the link to the page? Thanks!

Til then...

#18 ·
The bulbs weren't listed on thesaabsite when I ordered them. I placed an online order for all the stuff I needed that they had listed, then sent a request for all the stuff that they didn't have listed. I provided them the part #s for everything, except the bulbs...they found that one for me.

#19 · (Edited)
Just ordered my bulbs... $13.98 shipped.. got to love it when shipping for two small bulbs ($7.70) cost more than the bulbs themselves (2x $3.14=$6.28)
...sigh.

When I put in the part number 12798389 in the search box, it goes to a "Master Database" search with the number already in there, hit search and the one line "Application, Part Number, and Price" shows up. Click "Buy Now" and you will be taken to the shopping basket. There you can of course increase to 2 bulbs and hit re-calculate... Thanks again Rainmn.

#23 · (Edited)
Yeah ours have been too, just about a year. Someone said to replace both of them while your in there and also take the time to super clean the console, good thinking.

The package that it came is was pretty funny, those boxs the bulbs are in are maybe an inch long by 3/4 wide by 3/4 inch high (small in other words) and they came in this box lol (look at the door knob for height comparison)

#26 ·
Ok, replaced the bulbs today. Couple of quick points: Yes, there are two bulbs. Yes, the part # I posted earlier in this thread must be correct, since I got the correct bulbs. Lastly, no, I didn't get any pictures. About halfway through, I thought to take them, then realized my wife had the camera. (She had the kids too, so I can't complain)
To start, follow these directions: http://www.mpperformance.com/saab-shortshift-install.htm to get the console out. My car has manual climate control, so that part was a little different...three electrical plugs, and you have to remove the cable from the temp. control. There's a little metal clip on the cable end - pull it, and the cable can be released.
Once all that is out, remove the HVAC duct from the driver's side that runs from the dash to the rear of the console. Nothing holds it in, but you have to do some wiggling to get it out.
Finally, pop the trim around the shifter loose. Three clips hold it in place that should be pretty obvious. You won't get it totally off, since the shifter is in the way, but you don't need to. Look on the driver's side, and one bulb is obvious. The second is further back, and a little harder to see. Just follow the wires from the front bulb, since they go to the other socket. Pull the sockets out, replace the bulbs, and snap them back into place.
Put everything back together in reverse order (Don't forget the white plastic piece for the air direction control if you have manual climate control.) All together, it took me about an hour, or three beers, however you measure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.