SaabCentral Forums banner

Black Smoke Coming out of the exhaust.

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rykk2000 
#1 ·
Has anybody had a problem with their 93 blowing a large puff of black smoke out of the exhaust on the initial takeoff? I have a 04 93 Arc w/ 14,000 miles. It is going in for it's first service tomorrow.

#3 ·
If this is the first start of the morning, you're probably fine, but you shouldn't see this once the cat heats up...

#4 · (Edited)
smoke

i get a puff of blue/gray smoke upon startup - the longer the car sits between startups " da bigger da puff " this is most likely engine oil getting by the valve guides and into the cylinders - this is not good for the catalyst and will eventually ruin it - i have 17k miles on my car - it has done it since new - i have had more irritating small and large problems with this than with ANY OTHER CAR that i have ever had - i have been driving for 35 years - and i have had quite a few - i am going to cut my losses soon and say adios to this Swedish turd. best of luck Ed :(

#5 ·
Blowing smoke.

This puff of smoke is coming out after only about 3-4 hours of sitting.

I am taking the car in for service tomorrow, so I am think I am going to bring this up to the dealership. I figure since it is under warranty they should check it out.

#6 ·
White/gray smoke is oil. Black is fuel. you said it was black, right? and you said on takeoff not start up, right? Well. It sounds like it running rich. These other comment about oil seeping past valve seals and piston rings is a different issue. I don't believe you have an issue to worry about especially with your mileage. the car isn't even broke in yet. I believe your dealer will concur with me and I wouldn't worry about it. it's normal.

#7 ·
i forgot to ask - how much engine oil have you added in your 14K miles or so? - mine has used 6 Quarts since birth - this is the 0W40 that SAAB specs - this API weight is quite thin and since a large part of my driving is at the higher velocities this could be normal in my case - my dealer was not concerned ( but that is another sob story for another day ) i do not however think that black smoke is normal - nor do i think it is rich mixture related - because new cars with their computerized engine management systems don't run nearly as rich as the cars of the past - it is also possible that fuel is leaking down into the cylinders - if this is the case fuel will leak down into the crankcase - pull out the dipstick wipe it on a rag and see if it smells like gasoline - be sure to let the dealer know if it does - as oil dilution can seriously shorten engine life. best of luck Ed

#8 ·
fuzzyE said:
i forgot to ask - how much engine oil have you added in your 14K miles or so? - mine has used 6 Quarts since birth - this is the 0W40 that SAAB specs - this API weight is quite thin and since a large part of my driving is at the higher velocities this could be normal in my case - my dealer was not concerned ( but that is another sob story for another day ) i do not however think that black smoke is normal - nor do i think it is rich mixture related - because new cars with their computerized engine management systems don't run nearly as rich as the cars of the past - it is also possible that fuel is leaking down into the cylinders - if this is the case fuel will leak down into the crankcase - pull out the dipstick wipe it on a rag and see if it smells like gasoline - be sure to let the dealer know if it does - as oil dilution can seriously shorten engine life. best of luck Ed
I have not added any oil since i purchased the vehicle. Every time that I check the oil seems fine. I was kind of shocked to hear that people saw a puff of black smoke coming out the the back. I will check the oil for gas/gas smell later on tonight. In addition, I sometimes smell something similar to burning rubber coming from my car. I have no clue what would be causing this there? Could it be the turbo burning up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.