SaabCentral Forums banner

White smoke coming from exhaust

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  pearljamguy 
#1 ·
Hello. I drive a 2001 95 Turbo. I bought the car used 02/08. Recently my car died on the way to work as it overheated. I recently had my car serviced because my head cover gaskets wore out and allowed oil to start being sucked into the engine. All 3 spark plug boots on one of the DI casettes were cracked as well. I paid for the following:

Both DI Casettes (ignition modules) causing misfires
Spark plugs (fouled due to misfires)
PCV elbow and hoses (oil soaked and deteriorated)
Coolant Temperaure Sensor (not reading correctly)

Came out to about 1500. The engine seems to be running fine now but my question is about the WHITE SMOKE coming out of the exhaust. I am being told that their is residual oil in the catalytic converter that is being burned off. Its not all the time, just about once every other day. Sometimes heavy sometimes not so much.

Should I be worried about the car breaking down again? or will the oil just eventually get burned off and go away? Car has about 81k miles.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you losing any oil or coolant? Does your coolant have any indication of oil in it? If you're monitoring those and don't notice anything I wouldn't be worried. After my turbo went, I had some smoke and oil smell for a while from oil that was built up in the exhaust.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Not losing coolant or oil. Engine still seems to be running fine but just still have that white smoke. Saab/Sewell told me the catlyltic converter may be a problem in the future. But now that the head cover gaskets have been replaced the engine shouldnt be sucking in oil anymore hopefully

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.