SaabCentral Forums banner

Pacific Northwest Dyno Day for Sept 1st.

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  koko_31 
#1 ·
Who: Anybody who wants a true measurement of the wheel horsepower, torque output, and air/ fuel ratio from 2500 RPM to redline. Either you are there to baseline your car or see what gains (losses) you have made since your last set of mods, this the way to do it. All Saabs welcome. Pending the quantity, I’ll be open to non- Saab joining in. Spectators are more than welcome to witness and cheer on your fellow Saab enthusiast.

What: MD 500, Mustang eddy current dyno that allows your car to do wide open throttle runs under controlled, consistent, and safe conditions. The cost is a bargain in my opinion; 45 dollars to putting the car on the rollers, 2-3 wide open throttle runs, graph print out with WHP, Wtq, AFR and RPM.

Where: R&H Garage in Seattle Wa. http://r-hgarage.com/dynoinfo/
This is the same dyno we used at KitoAutosport in Ballard a few years ago.

When: September 1st 2012

In order to make this worthwhile for the shop and get the sweet rate, I need a commitment from at least ten cars to run.

Post dyno runs, if there is enough interest I will offer to host a BBQ at my family’s home, about 15 minutes from R&H garage.

Please add your name to the running list. Pm Squaab99t if you have questions.

1) Squaab99t ‘89 900t
2) Mezzanine ’85 900 na
3) IronJoe ’87 900t vert
4) ….

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
We are go for launch...

1) Squaab99t ‘89 900t
2) Mezzanine ’85 900 na
3) IronJoe ’87 900t vert
4) 99Sven '88 900t
5) Hans '86 900t
6) DanComden '85 900t
7) Zach cdr '93 900t
8) Mike Leonard '? 99t Frankenstein
9) Malko '08 9-3 Turbo X

Maybe List
11) Zach cdr's wife's '92 900s vert

#9 · (Edited)
Getting close.
Fun starts at 9:00 AM
I'll publish a batting order so people can gauge when they are up if they are pressed for time. Hoping to run two cars per hour.

I'll bring a score card sheet to keep track of peoples' data. It will be fun to keep a running list and for the late comers to see who is on top and who is running sweep.

Be sure to click R&H tuning web page. It has a pretty good check list to be sure you are ready mechanically. The dyno will not fix your car. More than likely it will steal a line from Rocky IV "I must break you!" in a nice thick Russian accent.

#10 ·
Whatcha got under the hood?

Time to find out.

Confirmed the start time with the shop. We will start setting up at 9:00 and the first pull at 9:30.
Bring your personal ear protection. It gets loud in the confined space.

Bring some snacks to share if you would like. I'll swing by Kripsy Kream grab some hot donuts and some box-o hot coffee.

How this work depends on the shop but, it might go something like this:
1) Fill out paper work so they can input who the owner of the car is and a license plate to keep track of the dyno sheets.
2) Sign a hold harmless waiver.
3) When they unload the previous car, have your car in position ready to go. They will drive your car or guide you on to the rollers.
4) They will the car strap down using the anchor on the unibody and chock the wheels
5) Do some minor adjustment to square it up on the rollers by some slow driving to get everything settled.
6) They will pop the hood and attach an induction loop to pick up a tach signal. They will also attach the Wideband sensor at the tail pipe or if you have an open bung on your exhaust.
7) They will drive and you will be the passenger. Run thru the gears and get it in 3rd gear. Drop the RPMs to about 2500, let it stabilize and then go on to WOT. They will take it up to redline or an agreed upon level or give them the wave off, and then coasting to a stop.
8) If all is running well, do it again two more times.
9) Maybe some minor tweeks in between runs, but they have to quick. Something like at MBC adjustment, water/meth on off.
10) Shut down, unhook instrumentation, pull straps, and drive the car off the dyno
11) Pay the office and get your proof, a dyno plot.
12) Go home, brag on the internet or cry in your beer.

#15 ·
wow, awesome stuff!!! some kick butt looking 99's there and some impressive numbers. Dennis that 99t is a monster! And nice work iron joe... i can't imagine what you'll be able to do with some tuning.

I'd love to come check all you guys out in the PNW sometime. The lady and I are talking about a trip to Mt. Hood this year for skiing, and that would probably involve taking a day or two to head up and visit friends in Bellingham.

#16 ·
Yes, it was a pretty successful event. People were on time, did what they needed to get in the queue, and the folks at the shop were very smooth getting the cars on and off the rollers.

We only had one 99 and that is a bit of a miss, because the only thing 99 about it is the chassis. Engine is a 16v turbo. One Turbo-X who had bad plugs and was not making much power. All the rest were 900c of some form ;ol;

I was pleased how my car did. Three years ago I was at 235 whp 237 ft-lbs. My goal has always been 300 at the wheels. Anything higher is just waste for a fwd street car. Just can't get the power to the ground.

Speaking of getting it to the ground. IronJoe is needed to install a new clutch and pressure plate before he needs any more tuning. :D From what I saw the tune looked pretty nice for a turbo charged engine. His torque slope was awesome. 2500 to 4000 the thing shot almost straight up. Unfortunately after that she no go...

PNW visit. Awesome. Skiing can be the 5h!t at Mt Hood on nice days. It can also be the other kind on the off days. Give us a shout as it draws closer. Always willing to get with others who have this same illness. :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.