SaabCentral Forums banner

Rear power windows get no power

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  supremedalek 
#1 ·
The rear windows in my red Saab convertible went down once and did not want to come back up. Thinking it was bad motors -- AFAIK there is only one fuse for all windows -- I got motors off the yard, took the panels off in the red Saab. And then, just for the hell of it, decided to power the motors directly.

I was able to move windows back up (well, probably need to clean tracks) that way.

When I checked the connectors on car harness that go to motors, I did not detect any power on them. I even tried using the buttons from the white convertible.

What else should I be checking?

#2 ·
relays on the older cars, as you don't say what model /yr it is, but it could be the switch panel itself as the contacts get burnt, and so then will not contact hence no window operartion,
If you know someone with a vert swap the switchpack, dont think a 5dr connection's the same but might be?will have a look

#4 ·
relays on the older cars, as you don't say what model /yr it is, but it could be the switch panel itself as the contacts get burnt, and so then will not contact hence no window operartion,
If you know someone with a vert swap the switchpack, dont think a 5dr connection's the same but might be?will have a look
I apologize, I thought that the My Saabs: 88 900 turbo convertible x2 under my name inferred which Saabs I owned. So, I happen to own two Saabs:

1. 1988 900 turbo convertible 5sp, red
  2. 1988 900 turbo convertible 5sp, white

and the one with problematic rear windows is the red one. Also, I was probably not very clear when I said

I even tried using the buttons from the white convertible.
so, let me rephrase it: during my testing, I did yank the assembly containing the 4 window switches from the white 1988 900 turbo convertible Saab and put it in the red 1988 900 turbo convertible Saab. But, when I then tried to operate either rear window switch, I did not get any voltage readings at the female connectors in the car harness that would lead to each respective window motor.

I think it's virtually certain that the switch contacts are corroded or burnt. Here's a link about it. There is no relay. http://www.fixmysaab.com/900_repair/window/step1.asp?nsteps=3&nointro=1
At first I too thought that was the case, but when I swapped the window switches from the white Saab, whose windows are working fine, the problem did not go away.

What else should I try?

#5 ·
Mine is a 93 .... the other day both my front windows failed to work ,,, But rear were Fine ...

I said to self... OK ... it isnt the fuse ... as the back work ...

SO ... I swapped a known good switch in ... Still no go .. I dismantled switch and cleaned the contacts ...

Still no go ...

This time I lifted the rear seat to find that in a 93 at least ... Fuse 7 FRONT 30 amp ... FUSE 8 REAR 30 amp ...

;ol;:D:):lol::cheesy::roll::(:eek::

Obviously .... A lot of mixed emotions there ;ol;

#6 ·
So there *are* fuses under the rear seat for the windows! Cool. I have only seen the relays and some fuses but did not know where they would go. It might not be factory, but this red Saab does not seem to have its under-seat fuses and relays all nicely grouped together like the 90+ ones I have seen.

Thanks! I will check then for *any* 30A fuse in there. ;ol;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.