SaabCentral Forums banner

Coolant leaking

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MI-Roger 
#1 ·
So this started after I had my valve covers replaced and had one of the A/C vacuum hoses replaced. At first I would probably have to fill up with 50/50 every week and a half or so. Yesterday I filled it up again mostly with water, then today after driving from school and back, and to the gym, the message for me to fill my coolant was displayed. I don't notice any leaking from the car after it has been off for a while, but I know it leaks when the car is running. There is no real noticeable burning smell that comes from my car and for it to be leaking that much doesn't seem to make sense that I would have something wrong with my head gasket. But who knows cars can be stupid.

Any ideas?

#3 ·
Do you have what can be described as "milkshake" underneath your oil or coolant caps? Are you visibly losing coolant (sensor can get stuck due to sediment - hit the side of the reservoir or flush the reservoir to see if it helps)? Do you have any leaks underneath the car? Location helps narrow this down as well. Passenger side might be water pump. Driver's side might be a bypass valve.

#4 ·
It's a 4 cyl...and it leaks on the passenger side. i don't see any of that under the coolant cap but i will check underneath the oil cap when i go back to my car today. And yes if I check my coolant before I go somewhere and then when I get back to the house and check my coolant again I can visibly see that I have lost coolant.

#6 ·
Coolant By-Pass Valve???

These are notorious for leaking without warning. You can either:
  1. Replace the valve (see write-up by Mickel in the FAQ section of this site), or
  2. Completely eliminate the valve by installling the "non-ACC" or MacKay heater hose kit as I did.

#8 ·
Heater By-Pass Valve / Coolant By-Pass Valve Replacement:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=985239#post985239

\

MacKay Hose Kit:
  1. Use the above set of instructions for removal of the old valve
  2. Remove the three hoses connected to the old valve
  3. Remove vacuum hose connection from the Tee close to the intake manifold to the solenoid valve strapped to the CBV. Replace Tee with straight barbed connector.
  4. Keep solenoid electrically connected to car. Do not remove/discard the solenoid.
  5. Install new hose kit. P/N #54-63-252
  6. Use tie-wraps to secure old solenoid in an out of the way location in the engine bay, mine is tied to the wiring harness cover behind the throttle body.
  7. Button things back up
  8. Job complete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.