SaabCentral Forums banner

KurBads 16xlpt airflow MY1993

5K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  ludichris001 
#1 · (Edited)
KurBads airflow MY1993

This is not gon`a be a performance project thread, neither this will be a restoration.

It`s more to document the work that has been done to the car as a maintenance and some upgrade; to show my DIY efforts and to share experience.

The car:
c900 lpt (curently upgraded to fpt with APC)
MY 1993 (produced end of 1992)
scarabee green with tan leather interior
factory fitted IC (untipical and strange for a lpt car)
factory fitted airflow kit and whaletale
current odometer reading 220 000 kms

Mods up to date:
installed full APC system
installed CC
new headliner
KONI red shock absorbers
boost gauge

DIY maintenance:
brake pads
ball joint
outer CV joint etc.

Goals:
nothing really - just to keep the car roadworthy, drivable and enjoyable

Pics:

p.s. I got saabs (c900) into my mind ong before I got my licence 10 years back. I bought my first c900 (8v i) some 3 years back without having any idea of what engines are available (so it happened to be 8v i) and felt that turbo car should be mine some day. The day came and I was lucky to find this c900 lpt with rare airflow kit and whaletale.
Greater part of knowledge to work on my car, to understand it I have got from this site as well as Mr.Bentley ...

So, here I go with this thread ...

See less See more
#6 ·
nashvegas said:
Just above where the exhaust manifold on the inner fenderwell, above the stock battery location? What's that red thing? Some sort of cruise control vacuum pump thing?

nope ... it`s just the horn for an alarm that`s been fitted by the dealer. Haven`t heard it working but looks impressive ...

#9 ·
How to correctly repair broken airflow/carlsson bumper - I mean what technology? Somebody crashed lightly in the corner of rear bumper and made a tear at the horisontal upper part of bumper ...
I believe it`s poliuretane ... do I tray to "weld" with soldering iron or just leave the original material untouched and just glue some material behind the tear ???
Is it OK to drive around with teared bumper untill I fix it ... or it may go further?

p.s. waht approximate weight of 16v n/a motor/gearbox assembly - ~ 200 kg or so?

Thank`s in advance!

#10 ·
KurBads said:
not the best pics but still ...

headrests from 9000

DIY renovated headliner, almost perfect match to the factory finish:

one more engine shot before APC-ing the car:

whoa whoa whoa! Stop the press!

That is one nice clean interior! May I please sit on your leather some day?

#11 ·
Nice interior! CD plates, Bruxelles, uh oh :lol: :cheesy:

#13 ·
KurBads said:
I`ve heard advice to use leather care intended for horse saddles ... I`ve tempte to try it out in order to soften up my tan leather ...
The Glyptone stuff that PfS sell has softened the buffalo grey leather in mine up nicely. They were quite "cardboardy", but a couple of good thick coats and they're definitely much better.

#14 ·
I`ve used several times leather conditioner from a parts store. It`s better but needs more. Basically it`s because of non-use as the passenger seat is much harder than driver`s ... might try Gliptone as well, thank`s!

#15 ·
KurBads said:
I`ve used several times leather conditioner from a parts store. It`s better but needs more. Basically it`s because of non-use as the passenger seat is much harder than driver`s ... might try Gliptone as well, thank`s!
I was thinking about this after posting the previous, whilst loading some stuff into the boot - I did the rear headrests a week or two ago. They were *awful*, cooked through the rear window. They're a million times better after just one thick coat, and now feel "savable"...

Of course, _any_ decent leather conditioner would probably have done a similar job, I've never done a comparative test of any kind...

#16 ·
I am willing to do a knock-light.
Already wired into pin19 of the APC box but don`t seem to get any signal even when I tap on the knock sensor and slenoid valve chatter.
There is small volatge at the pin19 which appears not from taping the sensor but as I just am getting close with the metal extension bar from my tool set ...
It doesn`t fire the small kind of bulb that is in the instrument cluster (brake warning light, srs etc.)
Is it so that knock signal from APC is so weak that it just can`t fire the bulb?
Do I absolutely need a LED for this to be visible?
I`m willing to use EXT warning light in the cluster and therefore have wired that light into the pin19 ... but it doesn`t work ...

Any suggestions?

#18 ·
it`s been long time.
So, new stuff is coming ...

Just need to figure out fitting options (might go 3M dual lock - thank`s Orca)

SS short-shifter also should be on it`s way (although I do have DIY version of it already).

#22 ·
the louvre attached. Just to post some pics.

and this pic to show proper boost gauge installed in the lower DIN slot. It`s not new - been there already 1 1/2 years, just newer been shown.
The location is not really good for freaquent looking as one needs to look down. But for that I have regular APC/turbo gauge in the cluster.

#23 · (Edited)
Guys ... I`m reading how many are converting to MS.

My car has been stock so far (lpt+IC+APC) and I haven`t any concrete plans to go high on power.
What I would like to have - it`s to make it a bit more responsive, talking low revs, city driving ...

Therefore I`m starting to listen to the MS prayer :)
Is this the route I should be undertaking on stock fpt? Obviously, my need isn`t to cure be able to dial more fuel etc. as in case of high boost setups.
Will I be able to feel the gain of MS on the stock motor setup? Will the effort and cost of MS be justified on stock???

any comments?

#24 ·
Ignition control = Works wonders on a standard T16. Responsiveness is improved very much. Fuel-control can provide you better response when coming on to boost, and you can obtain better economy if you feel like it, when cruising.
Daniel = LOVE the choir is growing...! :D
Daniel.

#25 ·
Saab-Daniel said:
Ignition control = Works wonders on a standard T16. Responsiveness is improved very much. Fuel-control can provide you better response when coming on to boost, and you can obtain better economy if you feel like it, when cruising.
Daniel = LOVE the choir is growing...! :D
Daniel.
I translate this as: "Don`t look around and go ahead even if you don`t have best-turbo-on-the-net or biggest-IC-on-the-net" ...:cool:

#26 ·
KurBads said:
I translate this as: "Don`t look around and go ahead even if you don`t have best-turbo-on-the-net or biggest-IC-on-the-net" ...:cool:
The choir accepts you all, young and old, weak and strong, big and small. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.