SaabCentral Forums banner

blown turbo

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  kfb118 
#1 ·
hello again,found out last week that my turbo had blown.i am doing the cleaning bit now,pipes and hoses etc.while waiting for a new turbo. can anyone tell me how best to clean oil from inside the intercooler? can it be flushed? also i read that it is best to remove oil sump and check for sludge.i think i have a strong oil flow due to the fact that there is oil in the intercooler_ _ _any suggestions greatly appreciated

#4 ·
kfb118 said:
many thanks for your reply,is that a regular soap powder ie. for clothes,dishes etc ?
Yes, automatic dishwasher powder,if you can get cascade,{green box}is the stuff.
You only want to use a low suds powder,and as a saab goes, you should remove the cooler to flush,because both inlet and outlet is on the bottom.
But alls matters on how much oil/and any other contaminants that you have from the turbo.
Was there any shaft or bearing/metal failure?or just oil?

#5 ·
i removed the intercooler and have had it standing on end for the past week letting the oil drain out.seems only oil coming out but i have removed the sump yesterday and found some fragments of metal ,not a lot with some sludge. oil strainer seemed to have more charcoal type substances in it. all in all sump was pretty clean ,i washed and cleaned sump and strainer with acetone and then wiped with oil. i also poured fresh oil thru the strainer 3-4 times. i,ll get to cleaning the cooler some night

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.