SaabCentral Forums banner

How To: Polish Headlight Lenses - remove rock chips/hazing/foggy issues

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Muttgrunt 
#1 ·
So I was sick of the deteriorated output from my '04 Aero's headlights - a few NH winters caused some pitting/hazing of the lenses.

So here's what I did to fix it.

1) Hit up VIP Auto (also available on Amazon) 3M Part #39008. Looks like this:

2) Polish (sand) one light a time, starting with the lower grit first. Be sure that you get a consistent finish on every step - there were places that were a pain on mine, but if you don't do it right you have to start over. This step was dusty, a face mask wouldn't be a bad idea. Here's what it'll look like after the first pad:

(I was freaking out about now... "What did I just do to my light?!)

3) Polish the light with the next sanding pad and you're results won't look much different, just finer scratches.

4) Now use the gray pad - moisten the pad and the light first. You'll get some white residue that starts to form after a couple passes with it, be sure to make a good 5-6 passes after you see this. Here's what you'll come up with:

See less See more
#2 ·
5) Now the foam pad and polish, I made 2 applications with this, polishing until the product was nearly gone each time. Because I was concerned with the UV Protection, also made 2 applications of Meguiar's PlastX which is supposed to have some UV protection in it. Here's what it looks like now:

6) Enjoy! Here's some after pictures.

High Beams:

Low Beams:

Total Time: 2 Hours (it was raining off and on, you could probably do this in an hour if you didn't have to time the downpours and constantly dry the lights)
Materials Needed:
- 3M Kit
- 1200+RPM Drill
- Painter's Tape
- PlastX

#7 ·
Does Rob's lights look a little more clear? I think both you guys did an amazing job... one questions, Since it's a type of polish that goes on the light; Does this mean that in a few months it will go back to the old state or to the state it was after getting sanded? I'm just wondering If anyone has a review after maybe 3 months of doing this process?

Regardless, I think it looks like day and night.

#10 ·
Does this mean that in a few months it will go back to the old state or to the state it was after getting sanded? I'm just wondering If anyone has a review after maybe 3 months of doing this process?
maybe in a few years it will, but not a few months. I just will stay on top of it with a couple coats of Nu-Finish every now and then to help it look fresh.

You can't do anything about the chips.

#8 ·
no, you won't have to worry about it going back to looking sanded.

actual polishes have abrasive agents in them, and act as a type of liquid sand paper if you will. The "polishing" action is like sanding away very finely at the surface, not merely covering damage up with filler agents.

polishing is also the action i recently took to the paint of a 2007 black 9-3 i have posted here: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160255

as you see, the polish physically removed the lighter damage. If I put the time in, I could have started with a more aggressive combo, then finished it out the same to remove even more damage / swirls / scratches. This is basically what was done to these headlights, and as you see: the results speak for themself. Great job again by the OP

#11 ·
Not quite....
The headlights are not clear-coated, but likely have mixed in UV protection in the plastic housing to avoid discoloration over the years.
With paint, The clear-coat is usually anywhere from 30-80 microns thick, and polishing will only take 1-2 microns off, with wet-sanding+compounding+polishing taking off 2-5 microns. It would be recommended that you keep the finish waxed/sealed as it will help protect from things like water marks, etching, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.