SaabCentral Forums banner

Stock Seat Weight

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  golfitup 
#1 ·
So I'm guessing this has been answered before, but I need to know . . .

How much do stock, heated, leather seats weigh out of a 1999 9-3???

Im trying to see how much I will shave off by putting in my racing seats soon . . .

#2 ·
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I am pretty sure I weighed my stock 98 cloth heated seats at over 42 lbs a piece, I purchased 12 lb fiberglass backed seats to replace them with (not installed yet, fabricating brackets... PITA.)

Total weight savings is significant enough to warrant the replacement of the stock seats, for sure. 42+42 = 84... 12+12=24 84-24 = 60 lb loss from replacing both front seats.

#9 ·
Dunno about that. According to Folksham retrospective crash analysis they're still one of the safer cars on the road. It helps that they have a pile of auto-industry firsts such as the use of hydroformed structural components and extensive use of HSLA [high strength low alloy steel]. This stuff is all the norm now, but way back at the chassis launch in 1993 it was all new.

Anyway, back to topic. Unless I get the seat out tomorrow it'll have to wait until an evening next week, I'm off camping this weekend [in darkest Oxfordshire :lol:]

#10 ·
Ya, Euro NCAP rated the car decently because of the side airbags. Front end crash tests were poor for the NG and acceptable for the OG9-3, but by no means "good". This was not Saab only-BMW, Mercedes, VW-to name a few- also had some poorly performing vehicles. If you ever doubt the rigidity of this architecture, drive diagonally up a steep-ish hill and listen to all the panels creak and groan as they are displaced by twisting steel.
Convenience factor is a complimentary "G" meter-depending on the tone and decibel level of the creak/groan you can tell how "hard" you are cornering.
-Cm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.