SaabCentral Forums banner

2.1L block & 2.3L head

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gorper 
#1 ·
Opinions please….. :eek:
Currently building a NA 16V 900
Plans include a 2.1L short block using a Stage II 2.3L head and 2.1L custom intake.
Although I could probably figure this out by comparing gaskets and passages I though it might be a set up someone has already done before.
Using a 2.3L head on a 2.0L block you could use a 2.0L head gasket (same part number)
Using a 2.1L head on a 2.0L block rumor has it you need a 2.1L head gasket (different part numbers)
But using a 2.1L block and a 2.3L head do I use a 2.1L gasket?
Don’t have a 2.1L gasket handy to compare but a quicky visual of a 2.0L gasket seems to line-up OK to the coolant holes and the compression sealing ring (on the head gasket) looks about right on the 2.1L block…
Is the bore the only concern? Or are there passages I need to worry about…

#2 ·
hey rhich,

don't have a definitive been-there-done-that answer for you but i can tell you that the coolant passages into the head are very important to get right for whatever head you're using. when i was building up my race motor with a 16v block and an 8v head we could have used either gasket but i specifically went with an 8v gasket as some of the cooling passages were different (one blocked off that wasn't on the 16v and one was open that wasn't on the 16v, etc.).

checking the EPC i notice that 1992 B212 900S and 1992 B234 9000S have the same head, 88 27 602. Sounds like you might find that the B212 headgasket is the same as the B234 headgasket, at least from 1991-93.

James
Team Saabworks

#5 ·
if you use a 2.1 block, you need a 2.1 gasket.

I have heard "horror stories" about mechanics who have used 2.0 gaskets on 2.1 cars. it will in fact run with a 2.0 gasket, but the pistons will actually slap the gasket as the car is running producing a horrible tapping sound as it runs.

no need to run a 2.1 gasket on a 2.0 block with a 2.1 head, although it would probably work.

#7 ·
I think the final consensus is if I’m using a 2.1L block go with a 2.1L gasket…. Is there anything other then bore that makes a 2.1L different?
DeLorean makes sense…..
Looks like a 2.1L gasket will be needed in order to compare passages to the 2.3L head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.