SaabCentral Forums banner

'99 block with '00 head

869 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  sknaffl 
#1 ·
I'm going through my engine rebuild and I'm finally getting to the putting everything back together phase.

I've got a short block from a '99 9-3 SE fitted onto my original '00 9-3 SE head. When ordering my headgasket, I just assumed to get the one for the '00...which I did. (the '99 is a different part#) Now I'm second guessing myself. I've already ordered it, and it is here, but it seems to be really different from the one that was originally on there. The guy at Eeuroparts said they changed the design, but it seems to be missing several holes for the water inlets. It lines up on the block ok, but it does seem to be a little narrower than the other. It may flatten out once I torque it down.

Am I correct in going with the '00 headgasket in this setup?

#3 · (Edited)
Well...here are some pics of my dilemma. The block from both the '99 and the '00 are virtually identical. I don't have a head from a '99, so I can't compare.

Pictured are the '99 block, '00 head, and supposed correct headgasket. I'm just concerned that only big openings for the water jackets are around cylinder #1. All the other jackets seem to be covered up except for 3 little holes on the intake side on cylinders 2-4. Eeuroparts said this was correct, but I'm just having a hard time believing that. I threw the old one away, so I don't remember what it looked like.

#6 ·
That's what I kept telling the guy at Eeuroparts....but he basically told me I was an idiot....and that was the correct gasket. Every picture I've found looks the same also. And...the picture for the '99 gasket seems to have those holes blocked off also...even though it is a different gasket.

#7 ·
now that i think of it it makes sense. coolant is pumped in at bottom of block by #1 cyl. the holes are at #1 and the exit is in the head by #4... although... that would mean by the time the coolant got to the exit by #4 in the head its going to be hot as hell... ok so maybe it kinda makes sence..... :\

#9 ·
well...I hope that is not the case because I ended up using the t7 head gasket. The research I did suggested the flow patterns in the t7 head are different than the t5 head, and required the t7 gasket. I actually just finished assembling this engine and plan on putting it in tonight!!:eek:.....so any more input here would be appreciated.....

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.