SaabCentral Forums banner

9K head on a 900 block?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MikeD 
#1 ·
Does a -87 9K 16V head fit my -86 900T ? I have found a pretty cheap Saab9K from which I could get the wiring loom, all the injection bits, turbo and the cylinder head for my 8v -> 16v conversion project. Only problem is, I'm not sure if the head fits my block.

TIA,

#2 ·
Yes, the head will fit. It's the same as the 900 T16 uses, and the block is identical. You will have to use 900 exhaust manifold, however, and the turbocharger housings have different angle to each other than in the 900. Intake manifold out of a 900 T16 would be a good idea as well, that way you wouldn't have to make any custom arrangements.

#4 ·
There are a couple of people who have "clocked" the turbo housings somehow, I'll leave that to those who know...

Oh, I didn't mention that you'll get lower compression than in both original 8V and 16V because of the 8V pistons combined with the 16V head. The new ratio will be 8.25 :1 - that's good for running more boost, so no bad thing at all! You will have SLIGHTLY less torques low-down, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

#5 ·
That's good to know.
I have an '87 Saab 9000 and it has a bad transmission.
I might be able to use this for spare parts.
Will the motor mounts all line up?
This car has the engine sideways, whereas the 900 has it backwards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.