SaabCentral Forums banner

what did you do to your car today?

619K views 6K replies 576 participants last post by  bob3000 
#1 ·
there is a thread like this on the volvo forum i have been on for a couple of years now. it seems so many of us tinker in some fashion on a day to day basis. Without starting a completely new thread, its a great place to share with other members your experience of what job you may have tackled that particular day , thus generating many different discussions. anyhow, i hope it catches on...;ol;

#662 ·
Came home from work and decided to have another look at my car seeing as how I thought I potentially blew my clutch slave. After a while of looking over everything I decided to just finish cranking the bolts up seeing as I was so close to being finished last time. Once done, I looked over everything and decided to pressurize the clutch and check for leaks (Figured if I had blown the slave fluid would be all over the place). :eek: low and behold to my surprise I didnt see any leaks. I had my girl pump the clutch while I bleed it and all seemed good. Checked for leaks again and couldnt find any.

So I took another idea I saw in a different thread where a Guy used a 2X4 and held the clutch down over night to check for leaks and also to bleed his clutch. Figured if I had blown the slave it would be leaking like crazy or not much so Testing this way I would know for sure. fingers crossed come morning time there are no leaks.....hope I'm not damaging anything by leaving the clutch pedal depressed overnight :confused:

#682 ·
Change my gear oil, since I lost some when I did the clutch....didnt have the money when I put it all back together so no shes happy.

Also changed out the original sway bar links for some Moog links that also had grease fittings. Man what a pain in the **** that was, had to break out the sawzaw and cut them off.

#686 ·
Installed the E-code headlight lenses on my new 2001 Black Aero Wagon. They truly make an amazing difference. I think I got the last set from genuinesaab because when I looked to buy a set for my Dad and contacted them they said they no longer had them.

#688 · (Edited)
Spent several hours on the lift today - flushed the oil and while I was at it, the tranny fluid. Changed out the serpentine, tensioner, and idler pulley (went with the short belt). Removed the downpipe, etc. and dropped the oil sump.

The virgin mary herself would have been proud. Since I've owned the car, I've only run Mobil One full synthetic 5w30 and changed every 5k to 7k miles, and the sump was clean as a whistle (at almost 75k miles and 8 years old). The screen had just a few pieces here and there. Overall everything looked great. Sorry no pics - I forgot my camera and also didn't have my iphone with me. It was a solo job and I was on the clock (I pay $5/hr for a lift). One thing I must say if anyone does it is that it isn't that difficult (plan for 4 hrs), and make sure you have a checklist to ensure that you reconnect and refit everything (like the oil feeder tube).

One trick - I used "550 cord" to tie onto the ends of the O2 sensor plugs and tied them off to the anti-sway bar so I could easily retrieve them once I was done. Just pull them back up through.

I decided not to wrap the exhaust - there's no room so if I wrap it will jut up against the AT housing (and may be a problem refitting). That said, I have two 50' rolls of tan 2" exhaust wrap (with ties and gun metal gray silicone) that I will gladly donate to a good home if you catch me at Carlisle.

Next up - the T5 cams.

#691 · (Edited)
I broke mine... Or so it seems. Code P1624.... What the ****? Heavy traffic in Boston and all of the sudden... I have an automatic that needs a clutch pedal. I need to post a "HELP!!" post in workshop. Aside from that little thing, installed the new (to me) wheels and tires, changed the oil and filter (yesterday), picked up the donor bumper for some cuttin' and splicin' from the junkyard, replaced the inner fender plastic, gave the hot little Swede a bath and now this... Sigh....

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Rim

#699 ·
Coming home car through a p1549 code, broke out my flashlight and looked around. Didnt see anything abnormal until I looked at a picture from WIS
I hooked everything up when I installed my new Turbo that came off my old one...or so I thought. Looked at WIS and followed all the lines coming off the BPC, realized "C" was never hooked up to my old turbo. Traced out the line and found it tie strapped to what I think was AC lines. Cut the tie strap and connected it to my Turbo. Went for a quick spin and check engine light went off, did some adaption runs and got full power back...at least best I can get I imagine without a proper tune.

So all in all, glad it happened and I was able to figure it all out

#700 ·
So took the 9-5 for a spin today - actually a long drive down and around shopping here and there. Initial feedback on the short belt - hmmmm. I can definitely notice it when I am going from a standstill to acceleration. Don't know what a 70mph to WOT will do yet, but am wondering if that if the vibration that others mention with a short belt.