SaabCentral Forums banner

Which manual boost controller?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Saabohème 
#1 ·
I am driving a 99 9-3 SE and the stock boost controller has gone bad. After conversations with my mechanic and other Saab drivers, I've decided to go to a manual boost controller. I'm not looking for a huge performance gain, I just want to forget the stock $300 unreliable electronic boost controllers.

I am not sure which one I should go with. One of the mechanics at my local Saab shop recommended Grimmspeed or Hallman. I see also TurboXS makes a good one. These all seem to have a great reputation.
I could choose between these three but it looks like TurboXS is the only offering with a bleed valve:
http://turboxs.com/shop/boost-controllers/135-high-perfomance-boost-controller.html

Is the bleed valve beneficial for my application? Does anyone have a recommendation between these or another?

#2 ·
In all honesty, when I ran one on my old spg, I think I spent 30 bucks and it did the same thing the expensive models did, but that is up to you. Heck, you can even make one with parts from HD. But, if you were planning on spending that amount of cash, spend about 70 bucks more and get a tuned ecu.

#3 ·
What he said. If you're going to spend money, just get a tune or learn to use t5 suite and do your own.

If you go MBC, you can make one for $10. I did in a couple hours and it only took that long because I'm a perfectionist and wanted "proper" size hose barbs soldered on. The only upgrade that matters was the "anticipator" (MBC+A) that some folks added to later designs.

#6 ·
You really should check out the classifieds or a scrap yard to replace the stock part. there was a guy selling used ones for $25 last month, I bought one and its been great.
The ECU uses that valve/controller to regulate boost output from the turbo based on a ton of variables, and has some pretty sophisticated engine protection features.

If you bypass it with a manual controller you are basically throwing out any sort of Air/Fuel mixture control and overboost protection that the ECU offers.

#8 · (Edited)
I've trashed a lot boost controllers. MBC is 25 dollars if you buy one and has never broke, just have to make sure your car is running right. I keep it around until I can get a used electronic one one for the right price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.