SaabCentral Forums banner

not sure if this is a problem or not...

703 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Matthew 
#1 ·
i have an 88' 900 SPG and i took it out for a nice drive through the hills after getting a lot of things fixed on it only to notice a wobble shake or whatever word u wanna use. it seems to only occure at freeway speeds when i hit the gas or at least thats the only time i can feel it. it feels like a steady shake from the front of the car possibly the engine and the speed of the shimmy seems to be linked to how hard im hitting the gas. any thoughts?

#4 ·
Thought about this some more. The inners may not be beyond hope.

This is what's probably happened: heat from the exhaust pipe has baked out the grease in the passenger-side (US-car) inner driver cup. After you've driven the car, heat builds up in the cup and the tripod joint which causes it to vibrate.

What you need to do is take out the driveshaft - that can be done without opening up the outer CV joint - and thoroughly refurbish the tripod bearing. I'd have a known good spare tripod handy, or a new one.

Thoroughly clean out the driver cup and the boot. Remove the tripod joint from the end of the driveshaft and discard it if it shows signs of wear, or if the grease is a rusty colour. Clean the splined end of the driveshaft.

Fit the new tripod to the end of the driveshaft and re-fill the boot and cup with universal-joint grease.

I had thos problem on my 900. The inner driver cup underneath the exhaust was almost entirely devoid of grease, and had evidently been so for quite some time. The tripod joint was scrap. I replaced it with a known good one from a scrap car.

The inner driver cup took ages to clean out. I initially used white spirit to clean it out ('cos it's cheap) and then followed up with brake cleaner. That took around two hours - gives you an idea of how bad a mess the joint was in. if the needle roller bearings have separated from the joint then you must get all of those out of the cup.

The car now drives fine and until recently, had been doing a daily 50-mile motorway commute.

You need to attend to this problem straightaway otherwise you risk damaging the inner driver cup. Replacement of that takes this DIY to a more complex level (IMHO). HTH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.