SaabCentral Forums banner

18" Enkei's

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  00AeroWag 
#1 ·
Toying with adding 18" wheels to my rig. These in particular...

I've read that clearance issues can be alleviated in the rear with a bit of off camber to clear the wheel well. Offset on the 18x8 enkei's is 40. I currently have 17x7.5 with 225's. They almost look a tad narrow for the wheels. Is it best to go with 235/40's on the 18's or is it even possible to do 225's?

See less See more
#2 ·
Moving from the stock size of 225/45/17 to a 225/40/18 gives you basically the same overall diameter (25" vs. 25.1"), so you would be fine there. Additionally, a 225/40/18 is best suited to rim widths ranging from 7.5" to 9", so you would be fine in this respect also.

The only disadvantage in running a 225/40 vs. a 235/40 is that you have a slightly smaller contact patch and that you'll have a bit less sidewall. This would result in less sidewall flex (a good thing for steering feel, but a bad thing for ride comfort). Really though, I don't think the difference would be all that noticeable.

#3 ·
I've run 18x8 for years now (summer only) on ASA AR9 rims and here's what I've found:

running 225/40/18 is best for clearance, yeah contact patch is slightly smaller and depending on the rim style, the lip may be exposed to curb rash more so than running 235.

Running 235 in the front very negatively affects steering feel compared to 225 and stock 215 (which I still run in the winter). But I've never had clearance issues with 235/40/18.

Take it for what it's worth: I prefer 225/40/18

#9 ·
I'm running Pontiac Solstice wheels on my 03 Aero wagon (pics HERE). They're 18x8 +55, but I'm running a 20mm spacer making them +35.

I have 225/40-18s on them...and they're a BIT stretched. When I need new tires I might so with the 235s...but I'll probably have to shave 5mm off my spacers. Honestly...I'd probably be fine with the look of the 225s if the car was lowered.

Nice choice of rims BTW...saw those on TireRack as well and thought it was a GREAT deal. Hands down the best looking rim (that they list for our cars) on their site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.