SaabCentral Forums banner

Clutch Job - Trouble removing input shaft

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  crwchf01 
#1 ·
So, I'm doing a clutch job on the '89 Conv this weekend, hoping to get it running for the work commute during the Summer. I managed to fashion my own "special tool" spacer ring out of an old bucket handle. With the slave being shot, I used the "long bolt" method to push in the springs on the pressure plate as described in the FAQ. I got enough gap and placed the spacer in with no trouble.

Now, I thought that getting the spacer in would be the hardest part. Turns out removing this input shaft is even more of a pain for me. I removed the clip, cover, and plastic propeller, then stuck one of the M8 pressure plate bolts into the shaft. I've tried all a manner of crowbars and bolts and washers, and for the life of me I just can't pop this shaft out. I've seriously bent two of the original bolts to the pressure plate and mangled some heavy-duty washers, too. I've heard the shaft mechanism described as being spring-loaded, and when the threshold is reached, the shaft quickly pops out. There is now some play in the shaft, and if I wiggle it I can see the friction plate moving back and forth under the pressure plate. But at this point it seems impossible to make any more progress.

Should this shaft be so hard to take out? Am I applying pressure in the wrong place? Is there some other mystery part impeding the removal of this shaft? :confused:

Thanks for the help, everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
I've found that the shaft really doesn't like to move if the clutch isn't depressed enough. Certainly when I was putting mine back in, it couldn't possibly be pried in with a crowbar, but I could push it in by hand with the clutch depressed. Perhaps you need to press in the pressure plate more?

#3 ·
To get the input shaft out I simply had the car in neutral, loosened the slave bolts and the shaft popped out.

I've found that the shaft really doesn't like to move if the clutch isn't depressed enough. Certainly when I was putting mine back in, it couldn't possibly be pried in with a crowbar, but I could push it in by hand with the clutch depressed. Perhaps you need to press in the pressure plate more?
Hmm

If you have the clutch compressed then the shaft is under load....

#4 ·
To get the input shaft out I simply had the car in neutral, loosened the slave bolts and the shaft popped out.
I actually haven't loosened any of the slave's bolts yet... 3 hexes, right? I didn't remove them because the directions have removing those bolts AFTER prying the shaft out. But should removing those bolts making popping the shaft out easier?

Hmm

If you have the clutch compressed then the shaft is under load....
Could randomletters be right in that the pressure plate isn't pressed enough? I think that may be true, but on the other hand I am able to spin the friction plate freely underneath the pressure plate (meaning the clutch is disengaged, right?).

Also, one thing I noticed: When I was originally rotating the flywheel to get those 3 long bolts on (for the spacer ring), I realized the car was in reverse, impeding it from rotating enough. I went to shift the car into neutral, but it wouldn't, surprisingly! I had to rotate the flywheel while Dad shifted, and once I rotated it to a certain spot, the shifter went back into neutral. So, is it possible that the engine's position could be keeping the shaft from coming out, or are these two unrelated issues?

#6 ·
I've only had to do it once and it was a piece of cake.

I removed the clutch line (so clutch was disengaged) then I either removed the input shaft or I undid the slave then removed it. Can't remember it wasn't hard

I think you can tap it in slightly, then pull it straight out to get it true.

Don't quote me on that, this was 2 years ago, but it really didn't pose a problem, I don't know if having the clutch depressed is the problem but I'd consider trying to wiggle the shaft clockwise/anticlockwise whilst pulling outwards.

#8 ·
I think the point is it doesn't require effort if you do it right.

#12 · (Edited)
Well, I tried several other methods, including using a shingle scraper. No luck with those...

Eventually, I tried 900t's socket method again, and to keep the shaft from rotating I stuck a screwdriver through a hole in the gear of the primary housing, which may be kinda sleazy, but it worked as a sufficient backer. Lo and behold, after one or two tries, POP! The shaft came out. Finally, thank God.

Now it's on to those three PITA allen bolts on the slave. Hooray. :roll:

#13 ·
because when I did it the engine was going to the scrapyard and I didn't care much for it I just whacked the bolt a few times to vibrate free the shaft etc, it then pulled out so easily. What a pain for you!

Good luck with the rest of the job !

#16 ·
Got 3 of them, 2 old, one later in the garage. may post pics later. Found a company in Taiwan offering them, but received no reply. Sometimes it pays to pick up one of the ebay "and other items" auctions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.