SaabCentral Forums banner

filled up with bad gas

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  radare 
#1 ·
To sum it up, I filled up with gas, I made it about 20 feet and then my poor saab died. I go into the gas station and inform them about the possibility of bad gas, they said that they couldnt do anything until their manager came in in the morning so I leave my car there. The next morning I get a call from the manager, aparently I was the first of many. Some how diesel had leaked into their premium tank and I pumped 14.5 gallons of half premium half diesel. However, they were very apologetic and are paying for it all. Fortunatly a GM dealership is across the street, they do not carry saabs, but they said they could clean my fuel system up no problem. My question is what all needs to be done? Obviously draining the diesel/gasoline out of the tank, but what about the fuel injectors, fuel filter, spark plugs, and the like? This is on my 99 9-3 se that I have had for 3 weeks.

#2 ·
stamonkey said:
To sum it up, I filled up with gas, I made it about 20 feet and then my poor saab died. I go into the gas station and inform them about the possibility of bad gas, they said that they couldnt do anything until their manager came in in the morning so I leave my car there. The next morning I get a call from the manager, aparently I was the first of many. Some how diesel had leaked into their premium tank and I pumped 14.5 gallons of half premium half diesel. However, they were very apologetic and are paying for it all. Fortunatly a GM dealership is across the street, they do not carry saabs, but they said they could clean my fuel system up no problem. My question is what all needs to be done? Obviously draining the diesel/gasoline out of the tank, but what about the fuel injectors, fuel filter, spark plugs, and the like? This is on my 99 9-3 se that I have had for 3 weeks.
I say you throw it all in anyway and hand them the bill. Sorry to hear that though. Most of the stations near me have replaced their tanks in the last few years for having similar problems. I guess EPA cracked down hard one some of them.

#3 · (Edited)
The dieselized fuel won't atomize like 100% gasoline, when injected into the cylinders, and thus, won't burn as well. This is why your car died when it was pumped in.

That being said, once the tank and the fuel supply lines are drained, all that remains is to crank the vehicle until the diesel is out of the fuel system and it will run again. The diesel won't harm anything on the fuel system side.

Since the diesel mix wasn't burned, it will have likely seeped past your piston rings, through their oil holes and ended up in the crankcase. Once the car is running, make sure they change the oil and filter to remove any contaminated/diluted oil.

***Edit: One more thing; be sure to take the car for a long drive (>20 miles) after the work is done to ensure that any soot from the diesel that has found it's way into your catalytic converter is adequately burned out. ***

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.