SaabCentral Forums banner

What does the ballast resistor look like?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Dr Rock 
#1 ·
My dizzy has two wires coming from it and they seem to go all the way to the fusebox, but don't go in it: in between the fusebox and the outer wing is a silver double small cigar shaped object: could this be the ballast resistor?

The car starts fine when cold and runs better now I have sealed the turbo/exhaust flange again :cheesy: it starts when hot but not as good as it could do.

Just wondering.
Cheers
Fraser

#3 · (Edited)
That doesn't really sound like the ballast resistor then. I think that would be a total start/nonstart situation when hot. Keep hunting.

Edit, I meant that the ballast resistor doesn't sound like the problem. That is the ballast resistor as I described in the other thread.

#4 ·
Dr Rock said:
My dizzy has two wires coming from it and they seem to go all the way to the fusebox, but don't go in it: in between the fusebox and the outer wing is a silver double small cigar shaped object: could this be the ballast resistor?
That's the ballast resistor.
In general, about the only thing that goes wrong with those ignition systems is the inductive pick-up in the distributor which fails when hot, or the little wires on the pick-up that wear from the motion of the advance plate in the distributor.
Of course, I haven't seen your car and so, can't diagnose it.

#5 ·
So which little wires am I looking for, 'cos I can't see any wires in there? :eek:

Car started excellent again today, no start at all when hot, so the dizzy is in the kitchen :evil: but I can't get the 4 pronged rotor off the shaft to get the coil out etc. Everything seems OK and I guess it must be if the car starts good and runs fine. I just don't understand how it can fail when hot....:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.