SaabCentral Forums banner

turbo coolant lines diagram/coolant leak?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  redrum 
#1 ·
My car has recently been losing coolant when I drive it hard. When I come to a stop I can see steam coming out from under the hood on the front passenger side, and occasionally there will be a small puddle under the car in the general area of the turbo.

I recently changed the upper and lower radiator hoses when I put the viggen intercooler on, so I know that those are fine. The radiator also looked to be in good condition.

My suspicion is that one of the turbo lines has a small hole or crack that allows it to leak under high pressure, as I dont lose coolant or lose very little if I drive the car gently. I cant locate any 'wet' areas around the turbo, as I'm sure any coolant that leaks out is immediately burnt off.

Does anyone have a diagram of the coolant lines to the turbo that I could see, and does anyone have any other suggestions as to where this leak could be coming from?

#2 · (Edited)
It is also possible that the leak is either from the water pump, the water pump block adapter and o-rings which are notorious (8, 4, 5), or the small hard lines near the waterpump (11, 12), which also tend to rust. The coolant can travel down and toward the engine block, and drip down from there.

As you can see here, the waterpump and the turbo are next to each other:

The turbo cooling lines are mostly out of sight, and do not leak often. For a diagram, see this document:

Turbo cooling lines

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.