SaabCentral Forums banner

9^3 Aero oil change

24K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  zinfandel 
#1 ·
Anyone have any hints about DIY oil changes on a 2006 9^s SportCombi Aero? This will be of the "out on the street in front of my house with the car up on ramps and me on a creeper underneath" variety oil change. I'm not even sure where the filter is on the V6.

#4 ·
Once up on ramp your home free. Oil filter is right there, I believe a 15/16 socket will remove and a 12 or 13 mm socket or wrench for drain plug. Check o'ring on oil filter replace if ripped. Check o'ring on plug also. Pretty sure torque if 18 lbs on both. 7 qts will refill Hope this helps..

#7 ·
Everything is right there, super easy. Much easier than my wife's preulde. What J/A decided to put the oil filter on the back side of the motor. Idiots!!!

The oil filter housing is a 24mm socket if memory serves me right. I just went down to autozone and bought one after my first DIY (After I had to use an adjustable wrench).

#9 ·
Even though my oil life monitor says I still have 45% left, I'm thinking of changing my oil soon. With BSR and the way I drive, I figure I put extra strain on the engine.

Looking for suggestions: what kind of filter do you guys use? Is Fram or STP okay? My dealer is 40 miles away, so I'm hoping a filter from Autozone or Walmart will do. Also, if I remember correctly, I should use Mobil 1 5w-30, right? I'm sure the suggested oil is in the owner's manual, but thought I'd ask. Thanks!!

#18 ·
Re: 2.8T Oil

If you live in the southern US I highly recommend 5w40 year round. If you are in weather where the ambient temperature is consistently in the 90's or at least during the summer months, then 5w40 even if its for that one oil change out of the year. I developed rocker/lifter tap while running 0w40 in central Florida. I recommend this for any high performance engine calling for euro spec oil. Hope this helps.

Current:
- 2007 93Aero, Manual, do88 Intake

Past:
- 2008 335i, Manual, Burger DCI
- 2006 93Aero, Manual

#19 ·
If you live in the southern US I highly recommend 5w40 year round. If you are in weather where the ambient temperature is consistently in the 90's or at least during the summer months, then 5w40 even if its for that one oil change out of the year. I developed rocker/lifter tap while running 0w40 in central Florida. I recommend this for any high performance engine calling for euro spec oil. Hope this helps.

Current:
- 2007 93Aero, Manual, do88 Intake

Past:
- 2008 335i, Manual, Burger DCI
- 2006 93Aero, Manual
I have used only Mobil 0W-40 on my three 9-3 since, 2008 on the 2004 and since 2012 on the 2008 and since 2017 on the 2011. Zero issues in Arizona which is much hotter than FLA. Though not as humid, I don't think my motor cares about humidity.

AKAIk, 5W-40 has never been a recommended oil, though 5W-30 has

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.