SaabCentral Forums banner

Stumbling problem, idle problem 89 900S

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jezzadee 
#1 ·
Well, I have finally had my first actual problem in 9 mos of driving an 89 900S. Today the car started to stumble a few times. When I stopped, and let the car idle, the idle would stay high, at around 2000, and then about every 4 seconds, dip down to 800 and kick back up. Undoubtedly some of you know what the issue is. Any help would be great!

#2 ·
vacuum leaks are prob your best bet! seems relatively simple, so a simple issue usually follows. go around in your engine and fiddle with pinching and blocking off lines while the car is running, if you find a hose that makes a difference in the idle while you pich it, then you will need BIG money to replace it, about 10 cents a foot for hose, unless you splurge on 20 cents a foot for silicone, both extremely expensive. you may have multiple hoses that are going, so you may need a massive $2 in hose:eek: . on the other hand possibilities like 02 sensor, throttle boddy needs to be cleaned out (wd-40) or brake cleaner, more unlikely but possible is AMM, ecu even as 89' i hear have issues, but can't get a straight answer if my 89 turbo is involved in the bad batch! anywho, idle issues are extremly common and most people sort them by much fiddling. replacing all the hoses and seals would be the more extreme route, but worth it nevertheless as preventative maint. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.