SaabCentral Forums banner

Check Gearbox / Check Engine Light Mystery

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Saab02 
#1 ·
When I was driving home a few days ago, my Check Gearbox light came on, and of course, the transmission shifted into 3rd gear and I lost power. So I pulled over and reset the car, which resulted in the check engine light AND the check gearbox light coming on and staying lit. Feeling a pit form in my stomach, I reset the car again, and was left only with the check engine light.

I drove to Autozone and had them read the CEL code- the guy reset it before I could write down the exact code, but it read something like "Shift solenoid - Electrical switch" or something of that sort. It certainly said shift solenoid. The codes were reset and I was on my way.

Today, after driving more than 200 miles since that incident, the check gearbox light comes on right after it start to POUR from a thunderstorm. I pull over, reset the car, and the light is gone. I drove 30 miles since with no problems.

Is this something that I should be really concerned about? I'll bring the check gearbox light to the attention of my mechanic, but due to the fickle nature of it turning on, I'm not so sure this had to do so much with my transmission as perhaps an electrical problem somewhere. However, oddly enough, after the Check Gearbox light came on and vanished both times, the car seemed to start shifting smoother for a while.

PLEASE help me figure this out! I'm really hoping it's not a major problem with my transmission as I bought the car only 2 months ago! I'd appreciate any SAAB guru's help in telling what I should be looking out for! Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
jonnyfgroove said:
Seems like he described his problem clearly. Can anyone help him?
Low or old transmission fluid (cheap), faulty neutral safety switch (espensive), broken trans (least common and most expensive). If the fluid has not been changed for a while, and you do it using drain and fill, one fluid change may not be enough b/c there is too much of the old crud left in the case.

Search for threads using "neutral safety switch" "neutral position switch" "check gearbox" as search terms. There is a little more info on the switch on saabnet.com. For more details, someone with the auto trans will have to pick this up...

#5 ·
Another thing to check is "available voltage".

The battery, connections, charging system must be up to snuff...
These computerized automotive systems are very voltage sensitive.

IMO, going to AutoZone was a mistake - what do they really do for you other than covering up a potential problem and charging nothing for this...????

Far too many "mechanics" are not electronic technicians , and they need to be in this day and age...Those at Autozone are really parts pushers anyway....

In the future, hopefully, "check engine , check gearbox" will be done away with; replaced with information less vague and misleading..

Right now we have quite a mess on our hands...
People should go to the dealer for these problems - but the dealers overcharge .....nor do they impress me with their service....

#6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I recently had the gearbox fluid flushed and filled upon the recommendation of my mechanic- this was a complete flush and not just a fluid drain and fill. This was before I got the problem with the CEL and the CGB llght.

I took the car to AAMCO the other day- I was a little leery about taking it to a non-SAAB place but it was a free road test, visual inspection and computer hookup to look for stored codes. The tech said that the computer had no stored codes (kinda odd since the light WAS on about 3 days before), the gearbox was shifting well, and the visual inspection revealed no obvious corrosion. They also tested my battery and said that the load voltages checked out (I also did this myself). Overall, the mechanic said that I should not worry about it unless it comes back as it was most likely an electrical anomaly (oh how we love those CGB and CEL codes thrown by undervoltages).

I'm taking it to my SAAB mechanic on Friday to see if he can shed some insight onto this. I read many Neutral Safety Switch threads, and I just don't think this is it- especially with the CEL code that I got reading "Shift solenoid".

Has anyone on this board had a bad shift solenoid that needed replacement? If so, what were the symptoms and how much did it cost? My gearbox seems to shift rougher at times, so if it's not me being hyper-paranoid now that I had a CGB light, perhaps it IS a shift solenoid. I'd love to know much I'm looking at if a solenoid indeed goes.

#8 ·
Hoping you can help since you had a similiar experience!!!

When I was driving home a few days ago, my Check Gearbox light came on, and of course, the transmission shifted....

I bought my 2002 Saab Linear 2.3 w/ 114,000 miles a month and a half ago. (Yes, that's high mileage. Yes, it's also a Saab!) The car has an automatic transmission.The previous owner told me the car had an issue before I purchased it but gave me a discounted price on the vehicle. He said that a light came on about 8 months before I purchased the car. It was either a check engine or gearbox light, but im not sure which. He had the light switched off, and it hasn't appeared again, He had it read for codes and couldn't remember the exact code but he thought it had to do with the shift solenoid.

The previous owner (accurately) explained the problem as bucking when first shifted into drive. It's like a hesitation, I shift it into drive, wait a second before going, and it will buck then usually drive fine. It doesn't happen every single time, but I always wait for it before driving. The acceleration is sluggish and I have noticed that it bucks occassionally when driving (especially when going slow... like 20 or 30 mph.) When I let off the gas, the bucking stops, and as I accelerate again, it usually drives fine. Does anyone know if this sounds like the SHIFT SOLDENOID?!!!!!!!! I can't find anything about this problem on the internet. I have looked for the past month and a half and haven't found anything useful. Tomorrow, the Saab is going to Pioneer Saab to have a diagnostic test. I'm nervous to see what they say and im slightly worried they are going to try to take advantage by not solving the actual problem, as many dealerships/mechanics do. I just want to know WHAT the problem is so I can take the appropriate measures to restoring my beloved car. It's the best car I have ever owned. Someone Please Help!!!! Goodnight From One Saab Lover to the Next... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.