SaabCentral Forums banner

Moving the rear axle foward?? How

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jezzadee 
#1 ·
Hey I got the super aeros on with 205/55/ and there rubbing I heard that moving the axle foward will solve the problem. But How do you do it, I searched but didnt find any technical details on how to go about moving it, btw my car is an 88' spg if that matters.
Thanks,
John

#2 ·
I think you will always get rub with 205/55/16 even if you move the axle. You need 205/50/16 tyres like me or 205/45/16. Even then some brands may rub at the rear. 195/50/16 is Saab's recommendation. The 55 profile is OK for a 9000 but not for a 900. I put on stiffer rear springs and shocks and I don't get rub any more. There's a mention of moving the axle over on www.twinsaabs.com but it won't help you unless you change the tyres.

#3 ·
205/55/16 are too large for the c900, that is a later type 9000 tyre size.

Moving the axle forwards does help to prevent rubbing as the tyres don't actually rub at the top of the arch but towards the rear, about 45° round from the vertical.

To move the axle forwards the front mounting points for the trailing arms need to be rotated so the what was the rear bolt position becomes the front (this pulls the axle forwards). The rear link arm then needs to be extended to keep the axle upright.

Ubipas site contains details on the work required.

#6 ·
Smackrazor said:
45 is a 45mm profile, it means there'll be less tire around the edges of the rim, and the ride will be less dampened, but it will look cool.
I know, pretty much what Im asking is will a 50mm tire fit and not rub or should I just go with a 45mm tire, look cool, and not have it rub but have a harder ride??

#8 ·
Brands vary - some tyres have rounded 'shoulders' and some are square. This will affect rub. 205/50/16 is actually a bit too large, but I get away with it as the tyres are Dunlop SP Sport 9000 with very rounded shoulders. For summer, I would go for a 205/45/16 and a max performance tyre, but even then you may need to replace the rear shocks and springs for stiffer ones. In winter for snow tyres you want as narrow a tyre as you can get. Keep your 15" wheels as 195/60/15 is perfect - put on some quality studded tyres and these cars handle better than anything else in the snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.