SaabCentral Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Key stuck in ignition

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Meissama 
#1 ·
Hello everybody!

so i picked up a 1996 Saab 900s last week, and the issue is the key is stuck in the ignition. I know with 900's you have to lock it in reverse to get the key out, but that doesnt have any effect.

So my question, Is the igntion lock system electronic or mechanical?

and How do i get the ignition switch out to fix it?

#2 ·
You've tried jiggling the stick around while turning i am sure. You have to remove the rear part of the console up to just before the stick. The cover around the switch itself just pops off so you might be able to get a looksie in there. Sadly I have no idea but I want to say it's mechanical since there is a physical piece of metal under the shifter housing that once removed you can park it in neutral and remove the key.

#3 · (Edited)
Remove the cover that goes around the ignition area (5"x5" plastic square), with the key in the on position stick a small screw driver in the ignition housing (there is a small opening at about the 5 o'clock position) and depress the tap, remove the key complete with ignition cylinder, now hold the ignition cylinder and rotate the key counter-clockwise. If you can get the key out you have a problem with you reverse lock out mechanism (it can be removed by turning the shifter housing upside down and removing several of the parts). If you can't get the key out, try cleaning and lubing the ignition cylinder.

Also if it is a problem with the reverse lockout mechanism you can try performing a shifter alignment to see if that helps: http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20050325.Saab_NG900_Shifter_Alignment/

#4 ·
Remove the cover that goes around the ignition area (5"x5" plastic square), with the key in the on position stick a small screw driver in the ignition housing (there is a small opening at about the 5 o'clock position) and depress the tap, remove the key complete with ignition cylinder, now hold the ignition cylinder and rotate the key counter-clockwise. If you can get the key out you have a problem with you reverse lock out mechanism (it can be removed by turning the shifter housing upside down and removing several of the parts). If you can't get the key out, try cleaning and lubing the ignition cylinder.

Also if it is a problem with the reverse lockout mechanism you can try performing a shifter alignment to see if that helps: http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20050325.Saab_NG900_Shifter_Alignment/
Had no idea it was that easy. Snap, learned something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.