SaabCentral Forums banner

Hesitation/hiccup when attempting to accelerate on the highway

9K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  dporgan 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I have an '06 9-3 Aero. Over the past few months i realized a slight hesitation when trying to pass on the freeway(may be directly at the orange/red line when the turbo is kicking in?)

Would anyone have ideas thoughts as what may be causing? The car has 53k miles. I admit to (given work situation) not to having done any of the "scheduled" maintenances. Might this be a spark-plug issue? An air filter? Turbo?

my thanks in advance for any insight.

D

#4 ·
Mine is doing the same thing, right at about 2800 rpm when you floor it. Probably coil pack. You could replace the 3 nearest coils to see if that cures it. If not swap them to the rear bank.
I am going to wait until it gets worse so the dealer can reproduce and fix under warrantee.

#6 ·
Hesitation

hey, so i did not have a chance to buy the coil packs this week as I was now told that maybe it might be a turbo issue and that i should go to the dealer. well the dealers here in LA/Santa Monica are crooks. today was the first day i was back on the highway (and yes, still the trigger is the red line of the turbo).

but also coming back while sitting at a stop sign on a surface streets the car once or twice made a noticeable rpm engine dip (not all the time, but i feared that it might stall). Does this still sound like coil packs?

Also, someone mentioned "replace near three...and if this doesn't work, the rear three" How many are there? when i check at a parts store, they were showing me one. Is there one for each cylinder per chance?

Thanks!

#7 ·
hey, so i did not have a chance to buy the coil packs this week as I was now told that maybe it might be a turbo issue and that i should go to the dealer. well the dealers here in LA/Santa Monica are crooks. today was the first day i was back on the highway (and yes, still the trigger is the red line of the turbo).

but also coming back while sitting at a stop sign on a surface streets the car once or twice made a noticeable rpm engine dip (not all the time, but i feared that it might stall). Does this still sound like coil packs?

Also, someone mentioned "replace near three...and if this doesn't work, the rear three" How many are there? when i check at a parts store, they were showing me one. Is there one for each cylinder per chance?

Thanks!
The V6 uses a coil-on-plug system for ignition, so it has one on each cylinder. The near 3 take about 5 min to replace, and theyre just under the engine cover. The rear 3 have dome dissassembly involved to take them out.

I could hook up my hp tuners scanner to see what the car does under those loads. Is it maual or automatic?

#16 ·
hey all so everyone was spot on with the diagnosis!! Thanks so much. a local mechanic told me i have a bad ignition coil in cylinder #3. Now I am a bit list as I am contemplating buying some replacement parts form one of two site: Auto Parts Warehouse and Rock Auto parts. There are many choices so would love advice feedback on any of these brands. But first, if i am facing the engine from the front of the car how di i find #3 from the left or from the right?

Ignition coils: "OES Genuine Ignition" $150, Borg Warner $100 Pep Boys, "Standard Motor Part" $115, (brand usually available in europe). Airtex/ Wells $73, United Ignition Wire $102
Fuel filters: Wix, Prentius, Mann
Air Filters: BEcK Arnly, FRAM, Mann, Mahle,
Plugs: Denso Doub PLat? NGK?
Oil: Bosch, Beck Arnly, WIX, Fram,

So any thoughts or recommendations are much appreciated and welcome!

Dave

#17 · (Edited)
Certainly try the spark plugs first but if that's not it, most likely coil pak. As far as replacing 3 at a time, not sure of the rationale. If you take one and swap it at each position, you're likely to save some bucks and not throw away good ones. Actually, if you replace all 6, please send them to me. I'll pay shipping. :cheesy:

Edit: Gratz on not getting hosed byu your dealer.

#18 ·
change the one coil. it should be second from the right.

go to rock auto, cheapest around, about $40 or atleast for the v6.

its coil on plug so no wire is needed.

Fuel filters cannot be installed on our cars, they are internal and are the life of the car.

with an air filter, buy anything, doesn't really matter from my perspective.

always buy ngk plugs, you might have issues with aftermarket.

Fram all the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.