SaabCentral Forums banner

Saab 9000 aero 95\96 Over boost issues

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mike ackers 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am a newbi to this so please be gentle.

I have a saab 9000 aero with a couple of nigles.

First nigle is that the turbo is over boosting, this is a new fault.
If I realy put the foot down the boost gauge goes all the way past the red and the fuel gets cut. On first inspection it has been sugested thta I get a new actuator, is this the case or should I be looking at other fixes first? I read on the formas something about a solanoid on the radiator that does something with the turbo?

If I do need a new acuator, can someone recomend one that is compatable with my car 9000 aero 2.3 year 95 \96

The second nigle is a little more concerning, I can be crusing along and the engine preasure drops (intermitant), last time it did it the car went into limp home mode and I had to stop the car turn the ignition off and back on then the fault cleared, any thoughts? It has been sugeste tat I should get a new flow meter for the TCS is this correct?

Thanks in adavnce :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to SaabCentral
to test the overboost, unplug the APC soleniod (black valve with 3 hoses going into it.. it sits on the end of the radiator). Just unplug the wires from it. If you still hit overboost, this possibly is the cause (fix - new APC soleniod.)
to make sure it is the soleniod, join the hoses marked C and W together (the hoses have the letters moulded into the length of the hose)
If you get just base boost (boost needle goes 1/2 way of the yellow section), then you need a new solenoid.

As for the TCS problem, I am not sure, but hopefully someone with more TCS problem experience comes along to help

#4 ·
ok, with the wires unplugged, this makes the solenoid default into base boost mode.
Connecting the C and W hoses does the same thing, but we do that to double check the wastegate isnt stuck shut, which your's isnt.
How often does your car hit overboost?
You can plug the wires back in to get full boost again.
i will get back to you after some thought (laptop battery flat!!)

#6 ·
ok, i am almost certain that it is not the actuator, as if you unplugged the solenoid, and floored it, it would have overboosted.
Might be an idea to unplug either the battery or ECU to reset it, then try and take it for an adaptation run.
On the adaptation run, you may hit overboost a couple of times, but once the ECU learn, it should stop it. I know my ECU is slowly learning that I have boost again, and occasionally hit overboost. I think this was down to not having anything more than base boost for a few months.
Might be a good idea.
check out www.saab9000.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.