SaabCentral Forums banner

Broken Rear Camber Bolt Issue

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  N_Raged 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I installed new springs (stock) and Koni FSD's on my '04 Linear over the weekend. Everything went smoothly:cheesy:

Then, I took it in to get an alignment done Monday morning. Surprise, surprise, the shop calls to let me know that they broke the left rear camber bolt that adjusts the toe:cry: Of course, no one stocks the bolt, so I had to order it from the stealership. Won't be in until Thursday. The alignment shop owner advised me that it may be a good idea to just replace all four camber bolts, so I called back and ordered 3 more. Since the bolt is completely broken, the mechanic advised me that driving it could result in the front control arm section coming off, so its stuck at the alignment shop until Thursday at least.

My question is this: How common is this? The shop said they do a lot of Saabs and see this all the time. They said it was a poor design. Should I make them cover the bolt, or just suck up the $6 because they offered to replace all of them for me? Anyone have this issue?

#2 ·
Seems to me like they broke it, they should buy it....in fact they should be the ones ordering the new part for you. You left the car with them in a condition where that part was not broken, it should be returned in the same condition. ANd they were going to adjust the camber on all 4 corners anyway, so replacing the bolt shouldn't be much more work than you were already paying for.

In general though, I wouldn't stress too much over a $6 part. When jiffy lube cracked my $500 alum oil pan, I definitely stressed and made sure they paid for the new part, the labor, and the rental.

#3 ·
You could test them though and see if they offer, might be a good judge of whether or not you go back to the place. Hell, if they don't offer, make it known that you won't be returning.

#4 ·
Thanks Saabmick! I got them to cover the cost of the bolt ($6), but I also got them to replace all of the other cam bolts (which I had to pay for, $18) with no labor charge, to cover the fact that I've had no car for 3 days while waiting for the parts. I think it worked well.

#6 ·
Unfortunately it is very common. These cars suspension don't age well.

I advise anyone to order a backup long and short alignment bolts from eEuroparts.com.

But if the bolt seizes inside its bushing then you're screwed nonetheless and will have to replace the bushing or even the whole control arm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.