SaabCentral Forums banner

Convertible Top Problem 900SE

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rls120 
#1 ·
Hey,

I just bought a 1995 Saab 900 SE convertible automatic, it has 78,000 miles on it. A problem I'm having is that the convertible top will go back but the hard tonneau cover needs assistance to go up. The motor just makes a thumping/ clicking noise. They're no lights that come on.

Thanks

#2 ·
Your tonneau motor has twisted at the hinge or in the middle. It many be possible to repair it by installing the reinforcement kit from Saab, or you may need to replace the motor unit. If the gears are chipped, replacement with a working used item is the only solution. Yours sounds fairly far gone.

Google "tonneau motor" here for more info. Note that the ng900 is different than the 9-3.

#3 ·
Make sure that the shear pin in the tonneau cover universal joint (its located behind the carpeting just below and to the right of the right trunk hinge) isn't broken, as that could be your problem. I'm currently using a big fat cotter key as a replacement!

Also, if the problem is flexing of the tonneau motor mount (this is a chronic issue), and if your gears aren't completely destroyed (mine are pretty well chipped up, but still functional), you can apply the hose clamp solution: makes the motor/gear connection rock solid, and only costs a couple of bucks. Do a search on it; it can get you going, but there are some trade-offs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.