Changing radio/display - From green to screen ;) - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.II, 2010 onwards > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 2010 onwards Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th April 2017

Join Date: Apr 2017                                                
My Saabs: 96 Two strokes, 900, 9-3 and 9-5 Aeros
Default Changing radio/display? - Help mE from green to screen ;)

Hi

I recently bought a 2011 9-5 Aero, but without navigation... Its not so much the sack of navitagion that bothers mE, but rather the cheap looking display.

I searched a lot in different forums about it, and dont seem to find much information, apart from the not so usefull solutions where the buttons wount work as intended.

In my logic, if i change the radio part (The part with the CD input, behind the buttons) to a version with navigation, and then change the monitor - It should work! .. But i guess it might not be that simple, since i dont read about others doing that..

Anpone has more experience about this, than what i found online?

Last edited by mELIs; 5th April 2017 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Look like a quesiotn instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th April 2017

Join Date: Aug 2016                                                
My Saabs: 2011 9-5 Turbo4

Yes, it's not that simple. It's not just the display, there's other parts. I asked someone else about that who installed the S100 Chinese unit, he said total it was a couple grand. Search aliexpress or dhgate for S160 for Mokka. Directions:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2191E...EB!109&o=OneUp

I opted for a rearview mirror backup camera instead.
Old 5th April 2017

Thankyou for the answer I am not, at first atleast, interested in that solution, im okay with a costum solution, but i want the buttons on the radio to function mostly correct.
An alternative could be a PC and monitor and then detect buttons through canbus or whatever standard it runs

As said, im aware that you cant just install the monitor, and as i couldnt find any posts about it, i was curios about, if it was tried to change the radio unit so you have the original setup from a car with navigation - Why would it be much different from the Opel Mokka? :S

Old 4th May 2017

I came across this, i believe it should be the same for the Saab

buickforums.com/forums/threads/31867-HOW-TO-Install-factory-navigation-in-base-radio-Lacrosse
(Cant post links... :|)
Old 7th May 2017
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2002 93 Viggen Convert, 2007 93 Aero

I might buy the roadnav s150 and hope it all works. I am on if the night mode does not work. Use the power button to turn it off.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Aug 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2011 9-3 xwd aero / 2010 9-5 xwd aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheLows View Post
Yes, it's not that simple. It's not just the display, there's other parts. I asked someone else about that who installed the S100 Chinese unit, he said total it was a couple grand. Search aliexpress or dhgate for S160 for Mokka. Directions:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2191E...EB!109&o=OneUp

I opted for a rearview mirror backup camera instead.
Btw what rearview mirror camera did you get?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 5 Days Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: '72 Sonett III, '11 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mELIs View Post
Hi

I recently bought a 2011 9-5 Aero, but without navigation... Its not so much the sack of navitagion that bothers mE, but rather the cheap looking display.

I searched a lot in different forums about it, and dont seem to find much information, apart from the not so usefull solutions where the buttons wount work as intended.

In my logic, if i change the radio part (The part with the CD input, behind the buttons) to a version with navigation, and then change the monitor - It should work! .. But i guess it might not be that simple, since i dont read about others doing that..

Anpone has more experience about this, than what i found online?
Just wondering if there is an update on this? I'm interested in doing the same thing.
Old 4 Days Ago

Z-EDGE Z2 Plus Dual Lens Dash Cam

https://www.amazon.com/Z-EDGE-Rearvi...ct_top?ie=UTF8

higher resolution camera than many. The installation is cleaner than dash mount, but because it's over a mirror, in sunlight it is often useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom007 View Post
Btw what rearview mirror camera did you get?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Just wondering if there is an update on this? I'm interested in doing the same thing.
20888798 is the receiver and 20935782 is the display, from what I can tell.. 20888798 seems GM generic and can be had on ebay pretty cheap. The display seems to be Saab specific and there isn't much used available. There's probably some specific wiring needed for this too.

The debate would be circa 2011 technology, used and difficult to update vs new generic Chinese units that aren't fully compatible. There's now Mokka units with Android 6.0 octa core and 2gb ram on dhgate, which I assume install similarly to S100/S160 units.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/octa-c...arl|3467086909
Old 2 Days Ago

I posted a (Inactive) link earlier: buickforums.com/forums/threads/31867-HOW-TO-Install-factory-navigation-in-base-radio-Lacrosse (Still cant post URLS..)
The same should be possible for the Saab, but you need someone who can pair the radio unit with the car, and that seems hard :S

Havent done anything, thinking about doing a CAR PC instead, if i can find a way to detect when a button is pressed on the console.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement