My new Double Din - Page 8 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Audio, Video, Navigation & Security

Audio, Video, Navigation & Security Discussions about in-car infotainment, navigation and security systems - independent of car model and year.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd March 2016
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Aero stage 3+
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedespeed7 View Post
Because the stock head unit has a processor on board that interprets the canbus signals from the SWC via the CIM unit. The aftermarket radio doesn't have that ability, so the connects2 is your bridge.
Understood. I guess I was thinking the android HU with its "swc programming" would have just "listened" to the signal and then be told "remember that when you see this, it is for vol up" etc.

But since I don't even really understand what CANBUS, CIM, etc. even is then I'll just get the connects 2 and call it a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Saab:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd March 2016

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: '08 9 Aero SS, '08 9 2.0T SC
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCleaner View Post
Understood. I guess I was thinking the android HU with its "swc programming" would have just "listened" to the signal and then be told "remember that when you see this, it is for vol up" etc.

But since I don't even really understand what CANBUS, CIM, etc. even is then I'll just get the connects 2 and call it a day.
Basically your head unit speaks English and you car speaks Swedish. Someone's gotta do the translating!

Old 23rd March 2016
Saab Crazy

Garage

Quote:
Basically your head unit speaks English and you car speaks Swedish. Someone's gotta do the translating!
So looking at the connects2 it almost seems like it was meant to replace the stock harness plugins but since my harness I already bought from Nexxia here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo...1Vdctq&vxp=mtr

I'm a little lost as to if I just replace the harness I already bought with the Connects2 completely or how they both work in tandem...if you know...great...if not I can try and figure it out.

My Saab:

Old 23rd March 2016

Garage

Quote:
So looking at the connects2 it almost seems like it was meant to replace the stock harness plugins but since my harness I already bought from Nexxia here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo...1Vdctq&vxp=mtr

I'm a little lost as to if I just replace the harness I already bought with the Connects2 completely or how they both work in tandem...if you know...great...if not I can try and figure it out.
Yes, correct. The Connects2 replaces everything, not just the SWC. You won't need the Nexxia.

Old 23rd March 2016

Garage

Quote:
Yes, correct. The Connects2 replaces everything, not just the SWC. You won't need the Nexxia.
Looking more closely at that product, those are just vehicle specific connectors with open end splices. Wouldn't do much for you anyway. Connects2 will do it all for you.

Old 23rd March 2016
Saab Crazy

Garage

Quote:
Looking more closely at that product, those are just vehicle specific connectors with open end splices. Wouldn't do much for you anyway. Connects2 will do it all for you.
I see...ok. Well...crap. So I wasted a little bit of money. I still needed the dash kit, but the harness was likely around $15-20 of that. And it had the RCA jacks, etc.

I guess the Connects2 will handle everything including the speakers, etc and I can remove/toss the harness I am currently using from that ebay kit?

My Saab:

Old 23rd March 2016

Garage

Quote:
I see...ok. Well...crap. So I wasted a little bit of money. I still needed the dash kit, but the harness was likely around $15-20 of that. And it had the RCA jacks, etc.

I guess the Connects2 will handle everything including the speakers, etc and I can remove/toss the harness I am currently using from that ebay kit?
Correct. You won't need the RCA jacks anyway, those are for aftermarket amps

Old 24th March 2016
Saab Crazy

Garage

Quote:
Correct. You won't need the RCA jacks anyway, those are for aftermarket amps
So I talked with Connects2 about the 1.2 harness, but they aren't sure if it will be compatible with an 06 9-5. I thought the 06-09 were all the same? I have the Fujitsu Ten head unit, so I figure it would work, but they can't confirm. They did say they base it off the head unit so they think it may work...

Do you happen or anyone else happen to know?

Also, one thing they did say was that they recommend getting CTMULTILEAD.2 nowadays instead of the Chinese lead...since it is compatible with multiple head units...including Chinese.

My Saab:

Old 24th March 2016

Garage

Quote:
So I talked with Connects2 about the 1.2 harness, but they aren't sure if it will be compatible with an 06 9-5. I thought the 06-09 were all the same? I have the Fujitsu Ten head unit, so I figure it would work, but they can't confirm. They did say they base it off the head unit so they think it may work...

Do you happen or anyone else happen to know?

Also, one thing they did say was that they recommend getting CTMULTILEAD.2 nowadays instead of the Chinese lead...since it is compatible with multiple head units...including Chinese.
Sure, didn't know they had a multilead now. Get that instead.

If your radio looks like this, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Fujitsu-Ten is Fujitsu-Ten, they all use CANBUS for communication.

Old 24th March 2016
Saab Crazy

Garage

Quote:
Sure, didn't know they had a multilead now. Get that instead.

If your radio looks like this, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Fujitsu-Ten is Fujitsu-Ten, they all use CANBUS for communication.
OK, yep...same radio. It's the AS3 Prestige (9 speaker). I just didn't know if for some reason the canbus or resistance or something was different for some reason between 06 and 08...I'm just going to get it and see what happens.

Thanks again...I'll report back after the install.

My Saab:

Old 25th March 2016
Saab Crazy

Garage

Anyone know where the illum wire should be hooked up to? I don't want to hook it up to my dash lights as I've heard horror stories about losing dash lights completely. I'd like the button lights on my radio to light up when I turn on my headlights at night.
Old 31st May 2016
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: Blue 2007 93 'vert

To get the radio lights to come on with the dash lights, it has to be hooked up to a light that dims.

I'd consider wiring it to the ash tray bulb.
Old 28th June 2016

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 SS 2.0 L Turbo; 1998 900 vert

Fixing to order this for my 07 9-3 Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182124567187I think this is what I'll need from reading off this post of not let me know or if I'm missing something

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 28th June 2016

Garage

You need this if you want steering wheel controls. Then you don't need the Spiral kit.

Old 28th June 2016

Quote:
You need this if you want steering wheel controls. Then you don't need the Spiral kit.
Cool deal the odb2 connector to connect to the stereo I don't think what I have posted is right

Old 28th June 2016

Quote:
OK there's so much to take in lol how do I hook the factor amp to the new stereo and a after market amp I have 10s going in the trunk

Old 28th June 2016

Garage

eSID has nothing to do with car audio.

Old 28th June 2016

Quote:
eSID has nothing to do with car audio.
I didn't think so

Old 10th July 2016

Join Date: Jul 2016                                                

hi,
I have Saab 9-3 2006 (model year 2007), I want install this chinese radio: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Joyin...651614664.html

I know I need steering wheel interface, so I've asked connects2 technical support if interface CTSSA001 will work with my car, and they said:

"our steering control interface for the SAAB are not compatible with Automatic transmission vehicle"

Really??

Is that true? do any of you guys have saab with automatic transmission and have double din istalled?
Old 4 Days Ago

Join Date: Feb 2017                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 saab 2.3T

This thread has a lot of useful information about upgrading a after market radio unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement