SaabCentral Forums banner

limits

3K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  mike saunders 
#1 ·
question... anyone know the HP limit with stock internals on a t5... im running a gt3071r with 10psi and well i dont want to destroy it. i know fuel cut hits around 14.5 15 psi... but whos gone farther on a t5 motor???? i have a goal of 700whp and i know i have fuel upgrades which are coming... but i wanna know how far i can take those stock internals.... oh... um... by the way im at 165k miles. replacing internals is no issue... i just want to know how far.

#2 ·
ok lets see, to get this started, first off your saying you have a gt3071 on stock fueling and stock ecu? yikes. and more focused on your question, a gt3071 wont flow enough to give you that kind of power at all so a bigger turbo is needed. then of course all the obvious like fueling needs and what not and serious cams, and a solid lifter set up to allow you to really rev that thing out. oh and pistons are good for about 450hp so forged ones will be needed.

#3 ·
Well, you can run 15psi very easily on the stock internals. If you have a gt3071 you are good to around 400+hp, plus bigger injectors and of course 3" turbo back and a new intake. The T5 engine comes with forged pistons, forged crank, rods, etc-very substantial. The T7 is a much weaker engine-only good stock to like 300hp/tq.
I am surprised you went straight for the big turbo as opposed to a more staged progression IE a td04 and 300chp.
-Cm

#6 ·
700 is quite a goal, you will be doing your own discovery to get to that point

I know the genuinesaab's 2.0 is making a lot of it's power by basically: big turbo, ECU mapping headers and exhaust, injectors, tougher valve springs, up rated fuel pump, cams, pistons, big intercooler, ect it's making about 511whp

#7 ·
T5 engines with stock internals have been run up to 500 hp (at the crank). They are highly reliable, except obviously you have less margin for error the closer to the limits you go.

700whp will not be anywhere close to possible unless you get a monster turbo. Then there is the fueling side. You would have to run at least two walbro pumps to get even close to the flow you will need. Afterwords, its the injectors that are the next challenge. Finding ones big enough is very hard. The engine will have to be built, new cams, pistons, valve springs etc. And then, your tranny will be toast as well at those levels if you can find a clutch to hold this power so its not simple and certainly not as easy as you might think.

John Williams (aka JZW) is running a holset super 40 and he will be at most running at the 700 bhp mark let alone 700whp

#8 ·
500 CHP is the limit for stock whathaveyou.

Get some injectors ASAP. Jeez.

Do you have any other hardware like a downpipe, upgraded intercooler, upgraded fuel pump, 3 bar map sensor, or uprated FPR?

You will need all of those things otherwise you are going to melt stuff.

#9 ·
Cm452 said:
The T5 engine comes with forged pistons, forged crank, rods, etc-very substantial.

I am surprised you went straight for the big turbo as opposed to a more staged progression IE a td04 and 300chp.
-Cm
Two things...

1 - T5 pistons are not forged, they are just more substantial that the later T7 ones.

2 - Doing a stage by stage progression is a waste of money. If you have a goal more than 400hp, then starting with some low stage is just a waste of time and money.

Then again this seems like a waste of money if he is starting off with that turbo and a goal of 700hp :lol:

#10 ·
+1

With no hardware, you've got a Johnny Cash car.....you're goin' down, down, down...in a burnin' ring of fire

Stock internals good to about 500 bhp, but not for very long running lean. Slapping a bigger turbo on a stock car is one way to seriously wreck your day. You're probably hitting fuel cut about 4,000 RPM or so. That's the car telling you, STOP IT! YOU'RE HURTING ME!

Consider that even if you bring the car up to 700 bhp, the rest of the drivetrain can't handle the power.

Use it as a drag car and you'll change clutches more frequently than you change underwear. Even if you get a snazzy multi-plate clutch to handle the torque, you'll likely snap a driveshaft or shear one of the gears, probably second.... ;)

You're also limiting your possible racing venues. This might work as a drag car, but would probably be undriveable on a road course.

#12 ·
thanks for all the replys. i know its a crazy goal but i always set a high goal. its not a daily driver so ive driven it once or twice with the turbo. as for aftermarket items. i have a full 3inch custom exhaust and a mbc set at 10psi.. its a work in progress. ive seen people with saabs that are crazy driving down the road breaking traction in every gear. my buddy and i build race cars as a hobby so im no novice at this. i just wanted to know how far i could push that little t5 till i started hearing clunck or snap or boom or knock :) again thanks for all the replys

#16 ·
i dk what's out there for tranny beefing up, but i do remember reading about a 6 speed from Maptun.:roll:

as far as pistons, that's a definite no.... I'm running JE forged with JE pro-seal rings. and safely running ridiculous boost with the help of w/m and close watch with a EGT gauge...:cheesy:

#17 ·
There is some dude running 51psi on his ng900:eek:, somewhere on the internetz! Anyway, I think 500hp is pretty insane, especially when the car is pretty damn quick mostly stock. If you want 700hp get a RWD car, seriously, that much power through the front is going to be miserable!
-Cm

#20 ·
Cm452 said:
There is some dude running 51psi on his ng900:eek:, somewhere on the internetz! Anyway, I think 500hp is pretty insane, especially when the car is pretty damn quick mostly stock. If you want 700hp get a RWD car, seriously, that much power through the front is going to be miserable!
-Cm
my other car is an AWD stealth twin turbo. as stated before i set a crazy goal for something to shoot for. its possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHpM...98FA00119&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

#22 ·
There is the 850hp AWD on you tube. But all he did was spin. I have a Garrett T35 that I'm working on a 2.0 Stroker for. I have the head so far. Doing more research. Found a company that does cam grinds for a little over 200. Need a smaller compressor for the T35, that's 250. So it'll be time.:cool:

#23 ·
Cm452 said:
That is NOT 700hp, probly more like 350, granted its fast, but not 700hp fast. The guy driving it is either BS'ing or something, because he jerking the wheel around even between shifts=no tq steer if you are off the gas!
-Cm
True, but once you're off the throttle, the wheels want to return to a more neutral position. On throttle you're fighting the tendency of the car to go in one direction or another, lift and you correct slightly....

Here's the scary thing...that was a 9000 in the video, which exhibits maybe half the torque steer of a similarly powered NG900. A 700-hp NG900 is going to be ridiculous....

#26 ·
AZR Racing said:
i will do it. will it take a while? yes... i was thinking about a twin turbo setup... but its all still in brain storming. im gunna end up running a honda radiator... no AC and a huge front mount. its gunna be crazy... and im looking for sponsors

Dude, shedding heat is the least of your worries.

Assuming that you're going to be able to make that power, after having achieved an 8K redline, you might want to consider pulling the trans and getting 2nd -5th gears cryotreated and/or shot-peened.

You'll want an LSD installed while you're in there, as any wheel hop will seriously strain the half-shafts. You might consider cryotreating those too, or upgrading to the larger Viggen/9-5 Aero shafts....

All that's assuming that you find a clutch to handle that. Search out John Z Williams to get good real-world tips on clutch selection. He's gone through maybe a half dozen, if not more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.