SaabCentral Forums banner

What is This Called-I need a new one.

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  '97 Saab SE Turbo 
#1 ·

I'm talking about the bushing to the left of the angled red line-the bushing under the brake caliper. For further clarification I am talking about the endmost bushing on the control/A arm. Mine is broken and leaking grease everywhere, so I need to know what is it called so I can order a new one.
Thanks,
-Cm
P.S I got the photo courtesy of DIP.

See less See more
#3 ·
The ball joint boots as shown in my parts book as replaceable items.; BUT,As soon as a tear or opening is detected, the boot must be changed.....better yet, check for cracks at every oil change service..

The same applies to a CV boot (or gaiter), when cracks are discovered, re-new the boot -ASAP.

#4 ·
Yeah, the boot is leaking grease. However, I have this damn shimmy-tires are balanced and aligned-yet on some surfaces and at 60-74mph I get a shimmy and a shake through the floorboards. Yet again this only occurs sometimes.
Everything is tight and nothing moves when I shake/twist/push it. Long story short, if I can just replace the boot then I am golden. How would I know if it was a bad ball joint? My mech said they were good like 5mo's ago. As far as I know it is JUST leaking, but I could be wrong.
-Cm

#6 ·
Strange, but I do not think the worn ball joint is causing the shimmy. I remember at the VW shop, we had to use a special lever to test ball joint play ...some was allowable, maybe one to two mm....Saab may be similar, see what the WIS has to say.

Have the wheel assemblies balanced using the Hunter 8700 "super" machine.
The joint boot should be changed as soon as cracks or little openings are detected...if it has been open for 5 or more months, then I think it is best to re-new it..

#9 ·
I know for a fact that I've put 200+ miles at LEAST on the cracked boot/balljoint; 70 were in the rain. It is quite possible that I put more on.
I bought universal boots-they look like they'll fit, but I want to know so I can order in advance; should I just replace the whole damn thing?
Thanks,
-Cm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.