SaabCentral Forums banner

High idle

10K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  jh180iq 
#1 ·
A few days ago I cleaned out the throttle body and also cleaned out the AMM with carb cleaner.

It now idles way too high. It also seems to get higher the longer it runs.

Its almost normal when it first starts up and then over time it will eventually get up to an estimated 1500-1800 rpm. (I say estimated because the tach does not work so I truthfully don't know, way to high though)

Does anybody have any ideas as to why cleaning the throttle body, which was rather gunked up, or cleaning the AMM would cause the idle to suddenly jump so high? :confused:

I suppose I could have messed the AMM up somehow. I don't think so though, it was just carb cleaner, I was just trying to clean off the temp sensor in there.

It idles high enough that I really dont feel comforatable driving it, it diesels when I shut it off and thats not good for an engine. I've taken to loading it with the clutch right as I shut if off so that it pulls the rpm's down before I kill the engine. That works pretty well but I"m going to be getting some horrible gas mileage if I sit in traffic idleing at 1500-1800 rpm. ;)

An ideas would be welcome, I'm a bit puzzled. Its probably just some simple thing I overlooked or left unfastened. :roll:

See less See more
#2 ·
The creeping warm idle usually indicates lean running behavior which means a leak in the intake tract. It can also mean the throttle plate is just too far open.

It doesn't seem likely that you ruined the AMM. I have cleaned the AMM on my car the same way with no ill effects.

It is possible that in cleaning you have cleared the idle circuit/bypass allowing more air. Typically the idle control valve can handle a small change like that.

When is the last time the idle bypass, the throttle stop screw and the position switches/sensors were adjusted ?

#4 ·
Matt,

If the car is one of your 1988 non-turbo models, try reading out trouble codes even if your check-engine light is not on (some problems do not trigger the CEL).

Also, check your TPS (throttle position sensor) to make sure it clicks when you close the throttle. If not, you can adjust it.

#5 ·
If the car is one of your 1988 non-turbo models, try reading out trouble codes even if your check-engine light is not on (some problems do not trigger the CEL).

Also, check your TPS (throttle position sensor) to make sure it clicks when you close the throttle. If not, you can adjust it.
Its the 1987 900S. I've already checked the tps, swapped out the NTC sensor, AMM, and IAC with ones from my other cars (with the right part #'s of course;) ). Didn't change a thing. :(

It happened right after cleaning the AMM and throttle body, and since I tried the AMM from my turbo on it and it didn't change anything, I can only assume it is somehow related to me cleaning the throttle body. :confused: The rps's also drop very slowly, almost as if the dashpot was adjusted to far in or something, but its not.

It was having cold starting problems beforehand and that is why I was messing around cleaning things. The starter quit on me the other day too, I haven't had time to change that so I haven't been driving it.

I've pulled codes out of the 88's many times but never on a 87. Is it the same procedure but just a different location for the connection? Under the back seat right?

There is still a connector at the right front fender but if I recall right, grounding that out on an 87 will fry things. :p
Cheers

#7 ·
This might be really simple - as the throttle-body became gunked up, the idle speed lowered and this was adjusted up manually to compensate. Then you clear out all the gunk, and we're back to true idle speed.

You have tried adjusting the idle speed down?
I thought of this, and I'm wondering if someone came up with a really creative way to increase the idle because since its an 87 16 valve I don't think there is really any way to adjust the idle, its supposed to do that automatically.

I did check the throttle stop and dashpot to make sure they weren't adjusted to far out and keeping it from closeing all the way, no problems there. :roll:

#9 ·
No I'm afraid not. I wish it was that easy, but on the 16 valve systems its supposed to adjust itself automatically. So they took away that little adjustment screw to keep people like me from just adjusting out something that should have been tracked down and fixed properly. :p Technololgy. :roll:

#11 ·
Interesting. Must be one of those UK vs. US market idiosyncrasies.

My 87 16V, 88 16V, and 88 16V Turbo do not have it. I've only seen it on the older 8 v models. :roll:

Does yours have the Bosch or Lucus system?

#12 ·
Do you have the Lucas system?

I cleaned the idle control valve and throttle plate and got a high idle of 1200 rpms, i got worried, Matthew stated that owners some times turn the idle up to pick the lagging rmps up, its like a lazy fix.

I had to reset the idle screw which is a small 3mm screw with a hex bolt holding it's position.

#14 ·
In post number 8, in the very first picture.

Too the left of the spring, at the bottom left hand side of the picture is a small threaded shaft with a striaght slot on top held it in place by a 8mm nut, thats the screw i used to adjust the idle.

The hex bolt above the spring next to the 2 blue silicone hose i left well alone.

The US Saabs dont have the top hex bolt for some reason.

#15 ·
ShadowWorks said:
Too the left of the spring, at the bottom left hand side of the picture is a small threaded shaft with a striaght slot on top held it in place by a 8mm nut
That's the throttle-stop adjustment screw. Bentley says IIRC that you should adjust it so that it's *just* touching the throttle cam, and back it off 3/4 turn.

ShadowWorks said:
The hex bolt above the spring next to the 2 blue silicone hose
That actually is the idle adjustment screw.

At the top of the throttle body there's an airway that bypasses the throttle plate. The screw restricts the airway to allow a certain amount of air past the throttle when at idle.

High idle problems can be a combination of things: vacuum leaks, mis-adjusted TPS, mis-adjusted throttle stop and mis-adjusted idle adjuster. I've found that it's sometimes easier to reset all those instead of trying just one.

#16 ·
Mine is bosch as well, what can you say but that was saabs way. Mix and match.:roll:

Too the left of the spring, at the bottom left hand side of the picture is a small threaded shaft with a striaght slot on top held it in place by a 8mm nut, thats the screw i used to adjust the idle.
Do you mean the throttle stop?

I've already checked that. Its only about a turn in, not enought to effect idle.

#17 · (Edited)
If the throttle-stop is screwed in to touch the throttle cam, and then one turn more then that might be enough to affect idle. A comparatively small movement on the throttle cam at that position might would open the plate enough to allow a significant amount of air to pass.

The screw shouldn't be touching the cam wen the throttle's shut.

Gotta be worth another look.

#18 ·
My throttle stop screw used to be in touch with the throttle cam, after cleaning the AIC and throttle plate the idle jumped up.

I didnt know that the true idle adjustment was the top bolt,;) Well i do LSNED

I was told that you should be able to slide or pull a 0.06? feeler gauge past the throttle plate? this is how you know if the plate is in the right position.

#19 ·
Matt88S said:
Its the 1987 900S. I've pulled codes out of the 88's many times but never on a 87. Is it the same procedure but just a different location for the connection? Under the back seat right?
Unfortunately, the '87 has the LH 2.2 system, from which you can't pull codes:cry:

I suggest looking in the Bentley manual; there's a section on setting up base idle for the 2.2 system step by step (pages 240-24 to 240-27).

Maybe adjusting the TPS (throttle position switch) might be all you need, but do the entire procedure just for peace of mind:cool:

#20 ·
Oh i checked today and my UK 91-900c does not have that adjustment screw, only the smaller throttle cable screw, so its not a US UK thing, post 1990 900 in the UK switch to Lucas for some reason.

Matthew your silicone vacuum hoses look chunky, whats the ID of them?

#22 · (Edited)
Sorry to drag this up to-date but......

just a few things I would offer my 'Kent Brockman',....my two cents, and comment on.

The throttle stop should be in contact with the throttle cam, and more than just touching. On my 900, the screw is about 3/4 of a turn past first contact.

The bulk of the air flow at idle should be going through 2 paths. Sorry, this is primarily N/A based.........
1. Throttle plate and,
2. Valve cover breather setup. (also crankcase ventilation)

The following diagram is a rough guide...
Green = Throttle plate path
Blue = Valve cover breather
Red = AIC

The breather at the top of the valve cover has a specific diameter tap at the top to allow a calculated amount of air through. (On the '86 I had, this used to a regular problem as oil sediment used to clog the top tap and made the idle unstable!. I've had the thick hose from the breather go hard and crack in many places on both cars which definately didn't help the idle).
The AIC should only need to add air flow proportional to about 100 rpm above that of which is already being induced. It shouldn't have to control the entire air flow for idle.

If the throttle plate is not correctly aligned on the throttle spindle, then the throttle may not close correctly and give the false impression that air is getting in somewhere else. When correctly aligned, the throttle plate should be as air tight as possible when closed without jamming into the housing. Adding the stop adjustment should just give the slightest opening between bore and plate. Having the throttle cam rest on the stop will prevent wear in the bore from the plate meeting bore. It also prevents the remote chance of the plate locking or jamming in under high vacuum.
Depending on how 'green' you are, the stop position is also there to confirm some or enough air flow during 'decel' to keep the emissions as clean as possible. There is no true fuel 'cutoff' in the LH system. During 'decel', there is a small amount of fuel fired into the engine, according to Bosch literature, to keep emisions within the capacity of the catlytic convertor and apparently keeps the combustion chamber in the right temperature window to aid the prevention of burning of valves, pre ignition etc.

Just how much does one take apart when the throttle body is cleaned or overhaulled?

Good Luck

#23 ·
see the small screw bottom left in the first pic? I tried adjusting the idle with that, maybe it was stupid of me? Anyway it broke... What is it? I have the haynes manual and it doesnt say anything about it, I should get the Bentley huh? Anyway also when revving today (first time started in a few weeks at least) I hear a loud clicky noise coming from the very front of the engine bay (the coil) or the thing right next to it??? It clicks very fast for just a few seconds and then stops. Thanks

#24 ·
Rodentmaster, your engine is cleaner than my dining table. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.