SaabCentral Forums banner

Can 16-inch and 15-inch wheels be swapped? (9-3 and 9-5)

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  turbo4life 
#1 ·
My son has a 1999 9-3 with 15-inch wheels. I am about to sell a 2000 9-5 with 16-inch wheels. The 9-5 has good tires and my son needs new ones. I'm not expecting to get much for the 9-5 anyway. The tires can't be swapped but I would like to know if the wheels can. Are there any potential problems putting the 16-inch wheels on the 9-3? Or putting the 15-inch wheels on the 9-5?

#3 ·
You may want to take the 9-3 to a dealer and have them set the speedometer and odometer calibration for 16" wheels afterward, but even if you don't, they shouldn't be off by much. 16" and even 17" wheels were both options on the 9-3, so the car's fine with them.

#4 ·
Larger wheels get lower profile tires. The differences nearly net out for the outer circumference of the wheel/tire combo. The biggest difference is if the contact patch is more than 1/2 inch wider. This may require front end alignment to adjust toe-in, castor and camber (especially camber).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.