SaabCentral Forums banner

Battery Drain

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  TooMany2cvs 
#1 ·
The battery in my car seems to drain away gradually and occasionally leaves me with to little power to start the car. The battery isn't old so I am assuming a poor earth somewhere. I have removed and cleaned the earthing point on the crossmember to the right rear of the radiator and still it drains.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what I could try next? Other earthing points? anything obvious?

#2 ·
Disconnect the positive battery cable, key off and doors closed. Next, connect a multi meter between the + terminal and the cable, then while watching the resistance, start pulling and replacing fuses one at a time. If tyou have a current draw, this should point you in to the right area to look. If you can trace it to a circut but cannot find the problem, pull the fuse when you park the car.

#4 ·
philjohnhb said:
Seems like a fair place to start, i'll give it a go.
A slightly easier way to do what DASander describes is just to go round the fusebox.

Set your multimeter to a low current sensing position.
Pull the first fuse.
Put the meter between the two fuse terminals.
Put the fuse back.
Next fuse.

You shouldn't see more than a few milliamps on any of them, with things like any alarm, stereo memory, remote locking being the most likely to draw a small amount of power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.