SaabCentral Forums banner

Bought myself a Saab 9-3

910 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  LLZuB 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2001 Saab 9-3 as my Winter car. She's got 64,000 km's and I got her for $2800 CAD. I introduced myself in the lounge but though i'd do an intro here in the section i'd be frequenting most.

I'm loving it so far, great car! I owned a 1998 Nissan Maxima before this, and I love it..but the tranny gave out on me at 280 000 km's (it was an auto) and didn't want to spend the money to fix her since she was getting old. So i found a great deal on this Saab 9-3 base model in Navy Blue with tan leather, with a manual trans, and im loving it!

I thought i'd ask if theres anything I should do to make sure she lasts! I got the oil change done on the weekend with a Castrol full sythetic, and swapped the air filter and make sure she's good to go that way

Ive heard of the sludge issue..anything I need to check? or do to make sure it doesn't happen? And lastly, I really want to get the tune done...any ill effects of getting the stage 1 tune thats 220hp? is it a safe tune?

Thanks guys! I look foward to becoming an active member of this forum!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! Wow, you got a FANTASTIC deal, post some pics soon! I want to see this thing! Don't have any experience with sludge issues, I'm a T5 guy :D, but I can't imagine with that kind of mileage that you have anything to worry about. Are you thinking of JZW's tune? Safe bet, he knows what he's doing ;ol;

#3 ·
Break out your tight rope and balance beam, then, as to performance and durability.
Give her a complete maintenance, after reading up on her history - good to have a lift for this, as its a ton of work.
I'm sure she can take mild modifications, its the quality of being driven that counts.
As to the sludge potential, pull the pan and screen, its the best way to tell.

#4 · (Edited)
welcome to the site and to the Saab world!!

Things to change or look out for:

make sure your crank ventilation kit is up to date(#6 is the up to date one) if you don't have it, i know genuinesaab has it or your Saab dealer should have them.

oil changes should be done every 3-5k along with oil filter

make sure your serpentine belt is good.. the owners manual tells you to change it at 60k, i also believe the fuel filter and spark plugs is changes around the same time.

the direct ignition cassettes are known to go wrong whenever, but im at 90k and mine still is going strong

after a long or spirited drive, let the turbo cool down before you shut off the engine(anywhere from 15 seconds to a couple of minutes depending on how hard you drove it) so you don't cook the oil.

above all.. enjoy!!!

thats pretty much the basics if there's anything else you want to know were all happy to help

P.S. if your in the market for a tune JZWtuning is the best!! John is awesome to work with and is always glad to answer any questions you have. i have a stage 2 tune from him, and i love every bit of it

#6 ·
welcome to the site and to the Saab world!!

Things to change or look out for:

make sure your crank ventilation kit is up to date(#6 is the up to date one) if you don't have it, i know genuinesaab has it or your Saab dealer should have them.

oil changes should be done every 3-5k along with oil filter

make sure your serpentine belt is good.. the owners manual tells you to change it at 60k, i also believe the fuel filter and spark plugs is changes around the same time.

the direct ignition cassettes are known to go wrong whenever, but im at 90k and mine still is going strong

after a long or spirited drive, let the turbo cool down before you shut off the engine(anywhere from 15 seconds to a couple of minutes depending on how hard you drove it) so you don't cook the oil.

above all.. enjoy!!!

thats pretty much the basics if there's anything else you want to know were all happy to help

P.S. if your in the market for a tune JZWtuning is the best!! John is awesome to work with and is always glad to answer any questions you have. i have a stage 2 tune from him, and i love every bit of it
wow 60k for sepertine and spark plugs eh! thats quite early! im use to maxima getting 100k haha but i'll def look into it because I do want this car to last!

what would the crank ventalation kit be? and how would I know if it was up to date

Thanks!

#5 ·
Thanks guys,

I will post some pics once I get her washed and detailed inside, its got a couple small door ding dents..but other than that it's in pretty good shape (SID screen is missing pixels as well)

But for the price I wasn't complaining..it was lady driven, as a second car which explains the low mileage..I got all the records and everything aswell..it was serviced by Saab, and she bought it off lease once the lease was done..has two accidents, but they were minor when the car was new

I wish I had a lift to do the sludge inspection, but no access to one..maybe I can just do it with some ramps..cat comes off and pan drops right?

As for tune, theres someone locally willing to do the T7suite tune for $200.00 so i've been contemplating that..just because I know how much fun this car will be with the added horses/torque!

#9 ·
Thanks guys,

As for tune, theres someone locally willing to do the T7suite tune for $200.00 so i've been contemplating that..just because I know how much fun this car will be with the added horses/torque!
Not sure where you're located..$200 is a good price. Had mine done by Dip in Toronto (platonoff.com)and took my stock up to 215hp by his readings on the laptop. Only about an hour. A great way to go! Might be a good idea to check out your brakes, ball joints and bushings along the way too. I'm saving for a 3" downpipe myself.

The items that everyone else has mentioned is on point! I know cause some of them told me the same too and it was great advice. Great price and low km's sound like you got a fantastic car on your hands!

#10 · (Edited)
^ yup im in the Greater Toronto Area, and dip would be the one doing the tune!

glad to know he does good work and is reliable

To be honest though, the ecu is all i'd be doing to this car... I have a 2011 Ford Mustang GT on order (should be here in january) that i'll be having most of my fun with...so just want to keep this car running good and making sure I follow through with maintenance on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.