SaabCentral Forums banner

Is the 9-3 the fastest sports sedan?

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Vector-SS 
#1 ·
When compared to the BMW 3-Series, Audi A4, Volvo S40, Acura TSX, and others in its class, is the 9-3 (2.0T) the fastest sports sedan on top end speed?

#6 ·
The B207 E and L both have a speed limitator at 220km/h and the Aero at 230km/h. It reduces the turbo boost and avoid and big increase of the speed.

greetings

#7 ·
I think you are talking about the 9-3SS 2.0T. When you said fastest, are you talking about top speed? There are many cars that can achieve higher speeds than the 9-3SS but may not be "faster" than the 9-3SS.

What I love about European cars is the way they tune the cars towards low end torque. For regular city driving, the fastest car is one that can out accelerate the other from 5 - 60 mph, for ease of overtaking. On the highway, top end speed (or power) becomes important. But unless you drive you cars every single moment on a clear freeway, those top speed numbers don't mean a thing.
I know it sounds cool when you see a car's spec saying it has a top speed of 150 mph, but can you actually take that car to that speed on the typical roads in north america? Or do you drive on the autobahn every minute of the day?
If I can't use that kind of top speed in my everyday driving, why would I bother with looking for a car that has that capability? I love my 9-3SS because of the high torque at the 2000-3000 rpm range, which is optimal for daily driving. My BMW 330i has the high low end torque and also due tom variable valve timing, has the ability to pull hard as well at the high end of the speedometer (best of both worlds).

I have pulled away at the lights, from cars like the TSX, RSX, cars with high top end speeds. So when it comes to real life driving conditions, top speed does not count.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.