SaabCentral Forums banner

External wastegate...

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  IronJoe 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about external wastegates? I need to get one but looked on HKS website and they want $910 dollars... seems very expensive to me. Are there cheaper ones which do the job?

#5 ·
ejenner said:
I'm probably going to go for the XS-Power jobbie. We'll see how it goes!
Err..... is that the chinese copy? Don't do it... wg control is so important. Get the good stuff.

And to the crimson nobleman, yup lots of mandrel bends in my engine bay. :cheesy:

#10 ·
ejenner said:
The other thing is... it's just a spring and a valve... why should that cost so much? I don't really like cheap stuff but I've not got loads of money to spend either so I'll just have to hope it works well enough.
It's the materials used, the better the SS the better the heat separation )valve to exhaust) the longer the valve lasts.

#15 ·
I'm not the first person to jump up and say nooo you can't but...........you'll very quickly see the welds cracking due to the different thermal properties, i've welded a manifold before and althoughy sucessfull I would be concerned about welding 2 sections of cast iron together. Better if you can get it drilled and tapped then use a descent metal gasket between to two, which should help with the expansion/contraction.

Or try boring the WG hole then welding the flange with the tapped holes over the top, you may be able to get enough weld on to hold it and not worry about the welds cracking.

You can get T sections to fit between the manifold and turbo, but that would ofcourse move the turbo forward an inch or two.

#20 ·
ejenner said:
Maybe if the cheap one breaks I'll be able to afford a more expensive one when the time comes.

Does anyone have any photos of an external wastegate attached to the cast-iron log manifold?
The cheap ones work great! For about a month.

My buddy with a Supra used a cheap ($60) ebay wastegate. After a month, the valve froze shut and he skyrocketed to 30+ psi and blew out his 5th piston.

$200-300 extra into a good wastegate is a good insurance policy against a blown engine when your wastegate decides to not open when it should.

#21 ·
External Wastegate

I have been using a Turbonetics Delta Gate for five years now. About 90k miles. Have had no issues except blowing out one of the flange gaskets. Now I carry a spare in the car. I would stay away from trying to plant the wastegate on the stock log manifold. If you are at all a competent welder you can mount a t3 plate with a hole for the wastegate and run a pipe to the wastegate as well as make a nice downpipe. I have heard that the Tials are better made but I have had no issues with my deltagate.

#22 ·
amish_geek said:
The cheap ones work great! For about a month.

My buddy with a Supra used a cheap ($60) ebay wastegate. After a month, the valve froze shut and he skyrocketed to 30+ psi and blew out his 5th piston.

$200-300 extra into a good wastegate is a good insurance policy against a blown engine when your wastegate decides to not open when it should.
Exactly. Boost control is a little too important for me to use the cheap brand. But to each his pwn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.