SaabCentral Forums banner

"Check Engine" / "Check Gear Box" turns on and then off???

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Chris 9-5 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 9-5 SE. Today, when stopped at a light, my car (automatic) stalled out and turned off. When i turned it back on, the "Check Engine" & "Check Gear Box" warning lights were on. I then parked in a parking lot, checked under the hood (even though I don't really know what to be looking for...) and when I turned my car on again, only the "Check Engine" light came on. Later on, after returning to work, I started up my car again and NO warning lights came on. The car runs as good as it always has, so I don't know what to do. Should I have it looked at or was it just an electronic fluke? Like I said, I don't know much about cars and am a new Saab owner, so I am a little iffy about bringing it to a mechanic when there is possibly nothing wrong with it....

Thanks and I hope someone out there can help me out :)

#2 ·
Welcome to Saab Central ;)

The stalling in an auto particularly is likely to be the "crankshaft position sensor" its a relatively cheap part.

As for the electrical light show, a saab dealer can pull the fault code if the check lights have been on and be more specific about whats going on.

How long have you had the car, whats the maintenance on it like, is she in good shape?

#3 ·
Thanks for the info...I bought this car about 1.5 months ago, for a great price and with about 79k miles on it. Regarding your adivce, can I replace the crankshaft position sensor myself? And what do you mean by "pull the fault code"? Sorry for all the questions, but I am really new at this (as you can tell) :)

The only other thing that is bothering me is the display on the audio system/AC. It's pretty much never all completely on, and often only shows small portions of what is actually being displayed. I can function with it, though, in its current state, but would love to have it fixed so i can comfortably read all the audio info (song, track #, radio station, weather band) and A/C info (level and function). Is it expensive to have this fixed? Do you think its something simple (like a fuse) or does the whole display need to be replaced? Like I said, it works just fine, but just looks a little trashy :)

Thanks again for your insight, it's MUCH appreciated!

#4 · (Edited)
Hiya.

Sorry, the fault codes are stored in the car's computer and can be retrieved (pulled) by a dealer or independant with the Saab diagnostic system called TECH 2

The sensor is DIY able several of us have done it, there is a very recent thread about it on the forums now, have a search, I think its called "car just stopped"

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69554

Regarding the displays its a very common fault and there are some repairs you can try, have a look in the "frequently asked questions" near the top of the list of threads in this forum ;)

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62496

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.