SaabCentral Forums banner

Factory Saab ""Long-Life"" oil filter

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Flashheart 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about these oil filters? I'm thinking about buying a case of them from Eeuroparts.com

Anyone know what the "long-life" mileage is on these?

#2 ·
BITOG oil filters and the Sticky FAQ on the same.

I use the one size larger Purolater - probably number one or two worldwide. This is changed every 3 to 4 K miles.
I'd change the "long life" filters every 4 to 5K miles.. These Purolators average about $3 to $4 - they are discounted at Pep Boys.

#3 ·
earthworm said:
BITOG oil filters and the Sticky FAQ on the same.

I use the one size larger Purolater - probably number one or two worldwide. This is changed every 3 to 4 K miles.
I'd change the "long life" filters every 4 to 5K miles.. These Purolators average about $3 to $4 - they are discounted at Pep Boys.
Hey earthworm...you say you are using one size larger? What # are you using...that sounds like a good idea...

#4 ·
At one time Saab filters were made by Mann in Germany and they were a very good quality product. Now that GM took over the Saab filters are just rebranded AC Delco. There were some good AC Delco filters at one time but I think that now they just use the commonly available Delco type. It's probably not worth the extra money just to get the SAAB name on your oil filter.

#5 ·
GaryG said:
At one time Saab filters were made by Mann in Germany and they were a very good quality product. Now that GM took over the Saab filters are just rebranded AC Delco. There were some good AC Delco filters at one time but I think that now they just use the commonly available Delco type. It's probably not worth the extra money just to get the SAAB name on your oil filter.
Thanks, that's kind of what I was really asking. I use either Napa Gold or Mobil 1 currently.

#7 ·
Purolator 20195

But on a GM900S, the filters 20mm added length rubs on the oxygen sensor harness sleeve - no big deal, but I do not like it..
I doubt if there is really much difference of importance between filters.
Funny that Purolators (from PepBoys) are cheaper than Fram - despite Frams so-so reputation. And I think it is wasteful and silly for any manufacturer to have their name on a battery or a filter...99% of the people know better - I think...

#10 ·
gurn said:
I read somewhere the PureOne filters are to restritive.Can cause oil starvation.
That's the reason for going to a larger filter. You get better flow with more filter surface area. Larger filters can hold more "dirt" but this is hopefully not an issue unless you're doing a sludge cleanup.
I use Puro Pure Ones or Motorcraft FL400s which trap smaller particles but are larger than the standard SAAB size and have more filter media.

#11 ·
GaryG said:
That's the reason for going to a larger filter. You get better flow with more filter surface area. Larger filters can hold more "dirt" but this is hopefully not an issue unless you're doing a sludge cleanup.
I use Puro Pure Ones or Motorcraft FL400s which trap smaller particles but are larger than the standard SAAB size and have more filter media.
GaryG = are you using the same size listed earlier in this thread too? Or are you using the one PureOne recommends for the Saab?

#12 ·
I use mainly the Motorcraft FL400S filter which is reported to be manufactured by Purolaotor. (Ford doesn't make their own filters just like SAAB!) It has the same relief valve pressure as the SAAB spec filters. Use a little extra insulation around the O2 wire to prevent wear from contact with the filter.

Sometimes I go with the Walmart ST-3600 which is identical in size and is made by Champion Labs. It's one of those new E-core models that have been discussed alot on BITOG forums. I like them so far and haven't had any problems.

#13 ·
This is one of the many things that I do not understand.

Why do the manufactuters specify that their filters be so damn small, and then specify such long OCIs ?
There seems to be plenty of room - Saab could redesign a little and have room enough for a PER-1 filter ( Ford spec , from 40-50 years ago)... even the old PER 17 for the 60s and 70s V4 was rather large.
I think this is a case of bean counters running amuck..
A tiny filter will cost $0.02 to $0.03 per unit less to manufacture and save several grams in weight.. and the knowledgible DIY could be less than 1% of the car owners......

#15 · (Edited)
GaryG said:
I use mainly the Motorcraft FL400S filter which is reported to be manufactured by Purolaotor. (Ford doesn't make their own filters just like SAAB!) It has the same relief valve pressure as the SAAB spec filters. Use a little extra insulation around the O2 wire to prevent wear from contact with the filter.
Does anyone know the Saab specs for gpm and pressure relief valve for the NG 900's? I have been searching the forum...to little result.

I did find this in reference to the Saturn 1.9L s series engine....(which I am referencing due to the comments above...even though purolator recommends the 10241)
The saturn stock filter specs are 3 gpm and a 12-15 psi relief valve.
L20064 does not contain a pressure relief valve, while the L/PL20195 use an 8-11 psi relief valve. Given the larger size of the filter though, I don't believe it should run in bypass mode any more often that the stock-size filter.

Purolator oil filter that has the same specs as stock: L25230. This filter flows 3 gpm and comes with a 12-15 psi relief valve, same as stock. Looks like this is the filter spec'd for 2.0L Ford Contours and Escapes

Edit: - I see from Purolators own site that the 20195 has a 12-15 psi relief valve - and is 4.74" length....exactly the same specs as the 25230...weird. I mean according to Purolator there is no spec difference in size and all that for the two. Also the 10241 has a 12-17 psi relief valve....and is of course the shorter 3.36"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.