SaabCentral Forums banner

9000 or Viggen?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  rflan0104 
#1 ·
Okay, have a tough question I have to ask myself. A Viggen popped up near me locally, that looks extremely clean (90,000 miles, perfect interior, great exterior with only minor splitter curb rash, no mechanical or electrical issues) and at what seems a solid price. It needs nothing, and I am planning on looking at it the end of this week.

I am trying to get opinions on both of these cars. My 9000 is heavily modified (TD04, 3" exhaust, intercooler, tune, full suspension and sways, tan aero interior), and I have put a lot of effort into restoring it. It still has a few issues (electrical), though, and is a salvage title. I am going to take a loss in going to the Viggen. I will have to start all over with the Viggen.

On the other hand, I do love Viggens. In essence, this is a head vs heart decision. Eventually, I would want to repaint it to LB (I lust hard after LB Viggens), but the condition is the most important thing. As well, modifications are much more abundant for the Viggen (so many more suspension options!). More, it seems like it would be better suited to my newfound track interests. Shorter wheelbase, better brakes, lighter weight, and more headroom (great for helmets on tall people such as myself).

So what are everyone's thoughts? Viggen, or stick with the 9k?

P.S. Included some pictures of my 9k (and the Viggen I am looking at), some of you may have seen it at SOC this year.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Automotive design

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Sedan

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay, have a tough question I have to ask myself. A Viggen popped up near me locally, that looks extremely clean (90,000 miles, perfect interior, great exterior with only minor splitter curb rash, no mechanical or electrical issues) and at what seems a solid price. It needs nothing, and I am planning on looking at it the end of this week.

I am trying to get opinions on both of these cars. My 9000 is heavily modified (TD04, 3" exhaust, intercooler, tune, full suspension and sways, tan aero interior), and I have put a lot of effort into restoring it. It still has a few issues (electrical), though, and is a salvage title. I am going to take a loss in going to the Viggen. I will have to start all over with the Viggen.

On the other hand, I do love Viggens. In essence, this is a head vs heart decision. Eventually, I would want to repaint it to LB (I lust hard after LB Viggens), but the condition is the most important thing. As well, modifications are much more abundant for the Viggen (so many more suspension options!). More, it seems like it would be better suited to my newfound track interests. Shorter wheelbase, better brakes, lighter weight, and more headroom (great for helmets on tall people such as myself).

So what are everyone's thoughts? Viggen, or stick with the 9k?

P.S. Included some pictures of my 9k (and the Viggen I am looking at), some of you may have seen it at SOC this year.

View attachment 113170

View attachment 113186

View attachment 113178
Was your CSE at SOC this summer? It looks very familiar.

#5 ·
I had a 9k and now have a 02 9-3 SE. As WSW said, very different cars, so it depends on why you're moving on and what you're looking for. Since it sounds like you're not going to get much for your 9k, maybe you should keep it instead of selling it.

You mentioned tracking, are you sure that Viggen will be significantly better? Yes, OG9-3 performance parts are much more plentiful.

#7 ·
Took the Viggen for a test drive this weekend. It only had 3 niggles as far as I could tell:
-Typical Viggen chin rash
-Two different tire brands
-SID and ACC pixels dead

I quite liked it, and the price is good. I actually liked that the Viggen feels so snug. It was wet out, so couldn't really test out how well it clung to the road, but definitely noticed the torque steer (I noticed not really a pull on the steering wheel, more the wheels pulling to a side on throttle. Normal?). The spoiler blocking your a chunk of your view also made me giggle. I also like some of the more modern technology it has (flex fuel capable ECU!). I'm really thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on it.

At this point, I would like to get some opinions from people who have had both. What are your thoughts on them in terms of driving and living with them?

#8 ·
I have not had a 9k Aero , I was actually shopping for one when I stumbled on a Low k LB vert , Torque steer , YES ! But improved by some bracing from Abbots , What are they like to live with ? I have never stopped smiling every time I drive , They are a pleasure to drive and the performance ( and for that matter Economy ) astounds me . Never regretted the purchase for a second.

Having Said the above , why not wait till you find one that meets your color desire , In the meantime continue to iron out the 9k and reduce any losses ?
I have had both the ACC and Sid pixels fixed , wasn't an expensive repair.

The low chin is a bit annoying at times , something you need to always be mindful of , I have hooked it up in carparks a couple of times ..

#9 ·
If I buy one, it is definitely getting some bracing from GS.;ol;

Funnily enough, there is a LB 4 door also listed for sale near me. However, the car is twice the miles, nowhere near the condition (with quite a few issues such as broken seat electrics), and they are asking more for it. I actually was looking at it before noticing the other one.

Is driving a lowered car a good practice for the viggen chin? I.E. coming into parking lots at an angle, never pulling all the way into a parking space, etc.

#10 ·
Steering rack clamp and brace will fix the torque steer along with some other GS braces. 9000 aero is a better handling car though

SID and ACC pixel failure is common on Viggens

See if the Viggen has had a maf,Cps, throttle body and fuel pump recently done along with the pcv6 update

#11 ·
This is the lowest mileage Viggen left in the world. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398210
Also Viggens are tons of fun looked at three before I found my 900. You'll probably get better gas mileage in it too, I have gotten over 30 mpg in my 9-5 and that's a heavier car. As stated before check if the PCV has been updated. And if the DIC is original it would be wise to keep a spare just in case, though I'm sure you know that since your car takes a DIC as well. And I'm sure the red ones probably have similar issues to the black ones. Also spare parts will be probably be much cheaper and easier to find than parts for a 9k since there seems to be a lot more left and possibly made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.